How to make a hex on a rod end??? (noobie question)

I'm glad to see you completed the project. It came out good. Did you grind or file that hex?

I. Curious what 3 in 1 machine you have? I'm wondering if there was a way you could have easily indexed the lathe chuck using one of its drive gears as an index.

Keith Rutger showed an old method to cut a hex on a mill without anything but a couple angle blocks. You could use a big nut or two as the engle blocks in th pinch. I'll try to look it up and put a link here.

Chris

Found it!! Here is the link.

Yes indeed! While the machine was appart on my bench I also cleaned and adjusted everything for her. After she told me the cleaning and calibrating alone would have cost her $500 and she doubts the repair guy would have the part I made due to the age of the machine.

Carl, it's great that you could use your hobby skills to help your wife in her professional work. I'm sure she appreciates it.
I'm always watching for ways that my tools can produce something of value to my wife. I like it a lot when she can get some benefit from my rather expensive tools. She is always impressed with the "magic" of making something valuable out metal.

Thanks Will!

Chris, it's an old Maximat Compact and unfortunately the mill doesn't line up with the lathe chuck for indexing. I ended up milling the hex. The part was placed in. My mill vice and I used a large nut as an indexing template. I started by milling the top flat then it rotate the part so the flat touched the flat of the nut. The nut was square on the cross table. Maybe a little unconventional but it worker. :)

I'm glad to see you completed the project. It came out good. Did you grind or file that hex?

I. Curious what 3 in 1 machine you have? I'm wondering if there was a way you could have easily indexed the lathe chuck using one of its drive gears as an index.

Keith Rutger showed an old method to cut a hex on a mill without anything but a couple angle blocks. You could use a big nut or two as the engle blocks in th pinch. I'll try to look it up and put a link here.

Chris

Found it!! Here is the link.

Back