How to lift a surface plate to stand...without cherry picker or crane etc?

Can you rig a chain fall from the ceiling? I lagged a 2x4 to the bottom of the floor joists and lifted it then slid the stand under and lowered into place. Use 3 joists and I don't think you'll have a problem.

Based on what I've seen in the attic I don't think it would support it. But it might. I've been up there and haven't fallen through yet. I could get some 12' 2x6's and put those on each side of where I'm lifting to give it more support. That's a possibility.

At 24" square by 3" thick, I make the weight of the plate at less than 200lbs. Hire a 2-man moving crew for half an hour and it would be all done.

-frank

Yeah it's not horribly heavy. But alone a little too much. I'm not a very big guy. But Ken's got guys working around him that can lift 300 pounds. I think if I tried just dead lifting it I might have some internal part breakage! :)

You can sister a 2by to whatever is existing. And support both ends with adjustable basement stantions. Sorry forgot the name. Then go ahead and use that chainfall. Pull and store until next needed

That might be the way to go. The hard part is connecting those to the 10' ceiling. Really some of those spinning adjustable stanchions would be the way to go. Like those used to support floors while replacing load bearing walls. I think that's what you mean?

I only watched a few episodes awhile back. I’m pretty sure one was in Reno, biggest little city and all that, but I’ve slept since then. ;)

Tom

Here is one of the best tools that I have in my shop. I highly recommend them for every shop. Mine was a Craig's List buy, I use it all the time.

Lift Table
I have a 2 ton table lift I bought from a Industrial Liquidatetor for $220.00 new, in the crate. I use it as an additional work surface; help moving friends;getting heavy things from the freight delivery tucks into the shop which is deep inside my home. Wish I had bought it LONG time ago.

Harbor freight sells them to, I bought one years ago it's been used dozens of times. The table pumps up by foot and it stores easily . I'd invest in one for your lift on the granite. Ok better way for you at two hundred pounds it will slide easy onto the table frame using a piece of carpet turned over with the granite sitting on the backer. Use 2 x 6 lumber from the trailer or truck pull the carpet onto the runners ,,,wood,,, it will slide easy get as close as you can the shorter the span the better. You can use bolts or screws to keep the wood from slipping off the frame or tailgate.
I thought you had something heavy , this is nothing.

Last edited:
Back