How to lift a surface plate to stand...without cherry picker or crane etc?

Then definitely set yourself up with a solution that works for you in the future. Way worth the ease of having something in your back pocket for that task you can't do

The plate isn't super heavy but since I've had issues down south of the waistline in the last year. I do not want to take chances. Kinda why I'm spending time making this easier than normal. I would rather make it super easy on myself than make that happen again. It was so bad the first two weeks when I tried to drive I thought i was going to throw up from the pain. There ya go group TMI :)
I have had hernia issues myself, probably genetically based per the surgeons. No fun, but life goes on. Proper technique for lifting is always required. Never lift something that could cause you to hurt yourself (easily said). Sometimes a brace is useful. Proper lifting equipment can certainly make things easier. One "Oh shi*" cancels out at least a hundred "atta boy"s.

If it's only 24x24x3 it is probably going to be under 250#
TQ60 has the right idea. It's not going to be hard at all. It all has to do with leverage.
Lay two 2x10 pieces of lumber on the floor of the van. You will later use these as ramps to get the granite to its table.

Put piece of granite on 2x10s back at shop. Tie some sturdy rope around granite to help pull it up ramps later.

Drive home

Ratchet strap table to back of van so they are one and will not separate.
Raise near end of ramps up to table top height, throw rope that is tied to plate over ramps and over table. Use a 2x4 or something similar and wrap rope around it. Wedge 2x4 against far edge of table and use it as a lever to pull on rope. The longer your 2x4 is the more leverage you have. 4' is more than enough.

Leverage and inclines are your friend

Thats the size of my plate... I'm not a big guy and I'm 67 years old. Just the other day I lifted it up
on my work bench myself. It wasnt easy but I did it... So two men should have no problem.

Oh man, I picked up my 2' x 3' surface plate with one of those hoists. For the crazy cheap price the guy sold the surface plate at, I put the hustle on and was going to just "make it work" with a hoist, no real plan, some straps, and just me moving the thing. It was (is) sitting on a cabinet that was collapsing as i moved it. The wheels would fold under as i pushed it. So, when it came time to remove it from the van... rigging the janky cabinet was like trying to reel in a marlin with a pocket fisherman. Did i mention this was during thanksgiving? Neighbors had quite a show that day!

BTW, my friend (a big dude) lives in reno, he might help in exchange for some help getting his little craftsman 109 up and running.

Back