How to hold a tap in the tailstock?

....I use a drill chuck in the tailstock for tapping.....

Or just keep the pressure on the tailstock against the tap handle to keep it straight and away you go as some smaller taps dont have the centreing hole in them.

Cheers Phil

Bit different but I have tapped through holes in the Bridgeport. Slow speed, lube and fast hands to stop the spindle prior to reversing out the tap.

MrPete222 video #3 shows tapping methods in various setups. His lathe has a clutch which sure helps in tapping and threading.
Pierre

There's nothing wrong with power tapping in a lathe, but you have to know what you are doing. The tap must be sharp, the tap drill size must be correct and the tap must be gripped in the chuck tight enough to feed but not so tight that it breaks. If you are just starting out, it would be best to hand feed it with one of the centering devices already described. I really like the tool posted by Steve and can definitely see one of them in my tool box in the near future. :thumbzup:

Tom

I really like the tool posted by Steve and can definitely see one of them in my tool box in the near future. :thumbzup:

Tom

Thanks Tom. Before I made that tool I also chucked taps in the tail stock. People don't seem to realize how dangerous power tapping with a T handle can be. Even at seemingly slow speeds if the tap sticks, that other handle is getting accelerated instantly just like the one jerked out of your hand. I have done it on mine but they have a belt clutch I could feather, it still scared me as when it was running good I'd get carried away and getting whacked would be like getting hit with a tire iron.

Personally I do not consider it safe to hold anything by hand that could rotate with the chuck I wouldn't touch if it was spinning with the chuck.

Steve

Last edited:
:man:
I made this.

View attachment 40666
The end with the hand wheel slides and turns on the shaft part in the tail stock. If the tap starts bind I just let go. The tap and handle just spin with the chuck .

Steve

Steve
Nice job on the tool. Thats probably a safer way to do any tapping under power. I like the idea of just letting it go if the tap sticks. The tool you have built still allows the operater input to how much force it takes to hold the wheel. Very cool design work, and with safety in mind.

I like it!

Damn, Now I have yet another tool I want to build

Thanks Steve

Ok, everybody that has contributed, Thank You! I got the machining part of mine done, just need to get the spring for the inside. I think it will work, not the prettiest but not as bad as I could have done. Once again, thanks everybody! You guys make it so much easier with your quick responses and pictures.

2012-09-22 15.07.46.jpg 2012-09-21 20.51.32.jpg

Cheater bar. And spare chuck keys for when you break them.

Get the spring? Where is the fun in that. Make the spring.

Don't we all have a stock of varying sizes of music wire in 36" lengths, I've got from .025 to .093, about 8 different sizes, (propeller shafts for rubber band airplanes) That make wondrous springs. Then I've got a spool of .009 for really tiny springs.

Tell me what size you want, diameter of wire, outside diameter and number of turns, I'll see what I can do.

Collis or collus make taper shanks that hold taps and drills. I've used and own them they work well , I would tend to watch using them in a gear head lathe unless your use to doing it. I've never broken one power tapping with my lathe or even my mill . I have broken them trying to Jack them around by hand on a lathe. I've always wanted to build one like the one Swatson built figured it would work for very small taps.

Back