How To Fix A Threaded Hole

I didn't buy the octagonal die, because it "looked???" like it would not fit into the 1" round hole. I don't know, but I have a great old fashion tool supply place near me that will be open tomorrow. I'll get one there and move on.
tony

Is it necessary to thread the pin? Why not remove the threads and then press fit a pin of the same diameter +/- required tolerance, and some locktite?
tony

Although you are working primarily in aluminum, please note that most hex dies are "rethread" dies. This means they are intended only to chase existing, albeit damaged threads. With aluminum, perhaps they would yield a functional thread, but I would not use them as a prime threading tool on any ferrous material.

They are hex because in most cases where they are used to restore damaged threads, the user normally has access to wrenches (adjustable open end, socket, etc.) to drive them, and not a die stock. Also look closely at the material to see that they are HSS rather than carbon steel.

You could also turn down the body of the bolt just under the head for the thickness of the piece plus a little. This will allow the plate to wiggle more before so you can get the last bolt in. We called this 'Chicago-ing' the bolts. Not sure why

I did one hole at a time, but the 1/2" template had a pretty deep counterbore and a thin wall , so the long transfer punch must have gone crooked. In fact, the last hole I decided to do it differently. I found a drill that was the exact diameter of the counterbore, reversed it into the chuck, and used it to center my mill chuck relative to the hole. I then was able to drill the hole perfectly. On a different note, in order to thread a small rod, I needed a metric die. I have a 1 1/2 die holder, but knew that most dies sold at the local hardware store are 1". This gave me an opportunity to make an adapter for a small 1" die. After a couple of hours and feeling good about the results, I went to the hardware store and , to my horror, the dies were all octagonal, which , of course, wont fit into my round adapter.
Also, what is a good cleaner for wd-40? This what I used as a lubricant for tapping.
thanks for all the good information.
tony

I have to agree with what Tony Wells said about the hex being chasing dies, but would like to add, I use them alot in automotive work, driving them with appropriate socket, "T" handle and sometimes an extension. Works great in hard to get places. Tim

Back