How to decode carbide insert hole diameter ??

dansawyer

Registered
Registered
Carbide inserts are coded in a letter-letter-letter-letter-number-number-number key. I am under the assumption that inserts are interchangable with tool holders. I have a set of TCMTNNN inserts and what I thought was a compatable holder. However the insert hole diameter are different. I have read the description of the index fields and I can's identify which field specifies hole diameter.
My question is if the standard descriptor is L1-L2-L3-L4-N1-N2-N3 which field specifies diameter?
Thank you, Dan

The 4th letter indicates the mounting hole configuration. Although they should be interchangeable for the same coding, there are some variations and inconsistencies in particular with some of the generic Chinese holders. I recall some issues with Shar's holders. The TCMT is a very common older style and should be interchangeable if the same size an hole application. There are variations in some are screw mount where others use a pin and clamp style, this is indicated by the 4th letter designation.

Attachments

• Turning Indexable Inserts Identification System.pdf
    134.7 KB · Views: 19
The 4th letter indicates the mounting hole configuration. Although they should be interchangeable for the same coding, there are some variations and inconsistencies in particular with some of the generic Chinese holders. I recall some issues with Shar's holders. The TCMT is a very common older style and should be interchangeable if the same size an hole application. There are variations in some are screw mount where others use a pin and clamp style, this is indicated by the 4th letter designation.
Thank you. This pdf is much easier to read then the one I had.

Back