How to cut threads on lathe that does not have ability.

I am going to keep the lathe as it's a nice compact size to have on the benchtop. I think I am going to like having multiple machines so I'll get something small later that does good with threads. A year or two get a full size lathe and mill. This is part of my new career so whatever it takes to get the job done right.

I think slowing the lathe chuck down to less than 60 RPM and chucking the tap/die and loosely holding the work peice will do for now, hopefully.

I am going to keep the lathe as it's a nice compact size to have on the benchtop. I think I am going to like having multiple machines so I'll get something small later that does good with threads. A year or two get a full size lathe and mill. This is part of my new career so whatever it takes to get the job done right.

I think slowing the lathe chuck down to less than 60 RPM and chucking the tap/die and loosely holding the work peice will do for now, hopefully.

You might consider to crank the spindle by hand.
i recently saw a thread, dont know where, somebody made a crank that went into the spindle, where it wedged itself.
Seemed like a easy contraption to make and worked just fine.

You van do the same thing in your lathe, just not as fast. Chuck lightly with a chuck in your tailstock then jog forward till you bottom out then reverse. If your tap spins just chuck A LITTLE tighter till you find that sweet dpoy

Back