How to cut a 15 degree 'V' in 4x4x1/4 square steel tubing

dansawyer

Registered
Registered
I have a Monarch car dolly. About a year ago some one stole the 4x4 tongue. It fits inside the dolly on one end and has a 2 inch standard hitch on the other. It is about 5 1/2 feet long and has 2 x 15 degree bends to allow the dolly end to ride level at about a foot of the ground and the hitch end level at about 2 feet off. This was done by cutting a 'V' up at the dolly and a 'V' down at the hitch. The 'V' s were then welded to closed.

I have a 4 x 6 horizontal saw and the first cut should be a snap. I will simply stop after cutting 3 sides and leave the 4th clean. The question is: How to cut the second at an angle. First I believe I will have to make a flat horizontal starting cut. Do I then simple pivot the tube to the correct angle and try to finish the cut? On first glance there appears to be sufficient clearance for this to work, but first glances are notorious to miss critical factors.

And advice and experience appreciated. Thanks. Dan

Actually, you should cut a half angle for each cut to have the bend fit correctly. At 15º, you might get away with one cut perpendicular though. I would make a 7.5º wedge to place under the work piece and cut all four cuts at that angle. The wedge could be made from a piece of 2x4. The actual angle isn't all that critical and four cuts made at the same angle will guarantee that the welded piece remains parallel.

Thank you. Those are very good suggestions. On my second thought the idea of each cut being the same angle is way better then my original thought. I will now proceed to measure the dolly and the hitch and calculate the angle. A wedge should easily fit and hold the part steady and two 7 1/2 degrees cuts should be easier than one 0 degree and one 15 degree. (I don't know why I didn't start there. :( )

I'm especially interested in your technique. I usually just scarf my notches in the box tube with the plasma, bend to the perfect angle, and weld them up that way with plenty of filler. It doesn't even have to be close, just so long as you can weld it back together and the angle is dead nuts when you're finished with it.

Back