How to chuck up a gear?

You can still grind it while in the lathe with a good indicating job. The gear will be flat and squared to the bore. With a dremel strapped to your tool post you can grind and polish the faces and then your bore if needed. You can even do the key way by turning the lathe handle moving the compound in and out with the head locked in back gear and motor off. Keep old towels dampened with light oil the sparks and metal will stick and not get in the lathe. It will take time to set up face and bore to grind but it can be done.

Thanks very much for all the tips-- there are lots of ways to skin this cat! I will definitely remember the dremel ideas and the soda can and other ideas for the future!

Anyways, I came up with a "poor mans tool post grinder" setup as in the pic. I wouldn't have come around to this setup without all your help. The ring indicated as being round on the inside after chucking it up. It's just a 10" piece of stainless bar about 2" in diameter wrapped with medium emery cloth. I held it in the grove that the tool post usually slides into and with firm down pressure from my hand, I used the lathe controls to run it into the chucked up gear ring and it worked great. It chattered just a little bit but worked fine. I took off about 4 thou off the top of the teeth inside the ring and the new gear now slides through the ring as it should. --saved me $614. I'm posting the pics just because it might be useful to someone else.IMG_0841.jpgIMG_0842.jpg
Thanks again for all the advice.
I still plan to look for a tool post grinder!

Bob

Back