How To Change Collets?

Scruffy

Active User
Registered
The brown truck dropped this off yesterday. Now my question is??? How does a person change collets.
It's a Jacobs spindle nose chuck, I have a comple set. This is the l-1 wrench I got from Walter on another forum, nice wrench for the money it seems. Had to use the big hammer trick to get the 3 jaw off, who knows how long it had been since it was off.

Thanks scruffy. Ron

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

i have not used one for decades, but seems to me you can use the spanner wrench to loosen the chuck then use your hands to turn the large aluminum ring to loosen more or to retighten. did you get more of the rubber/metal collets with it? nice chucks as I remember them. hope that helps.

you know, in thinking more about it, it may just be the hand tightening of the aluminum ring that is used to loosen or tighten the collets. been a long time.

Last edited:
I have used a 5c collet chuck that looks something like that and you locke the spindle and turn the hand wheel.

Yupp been years for me too, I remember the only drawback was no stops to do repeat jobs unless it's on a turret lathe which you could set up on the first station. They work well as long as you don't take to heavy a cut , they slip more the 5c type. The rubber gives in.

It's been years for me too. I'm thinking you just keep loosening the wheel and the nose screws off.

Google. Jacobs spindle nose chuck and their is a short utube video that shows it a lot easier than I can explain it.
Thanks scruffy

Those Jacobs Rubberflex collet chucks are great. I have 2 and use them all the time. Never had one slip.

My lathe won't take very heavy cuts ,so I should be fine
Thanks ron

Back