How to blow up (literally) your tig welder

You guys really need to grow some and go without remote foot or torch control, and while you're at it turn off the high frec. start. :D

Edit: Just set the amps, scratch start and go. Of course most of the new machines have touch and lift start.

You guys really need to grow some and go without remote foot or torch control, and while you're at it turn off the high frec. start. :D
been there , done that too!
my first unit i had to scratch start. it was a DC only unit, that was older than dirt.
then i got hooked on PowCon's (DC) and loved them to death (i still got 2 )- no HF but they have pedal control
then i thought i was King of the World when i went to school and used a Miller Synchrowave 300 Pulse Tig- it literally wanted to weld all by itself, you just fed the wire in
i've been looking for another once since then, but they always seem to be in the $4,000 range
i still went blue, and got an SP250 with a lincoln HF rig w/ cooler, for a song a while back- it has worked well for my needs

been there , done that too!
My comment was in part jest, but if you TIG weld and become addicted to foot control and high frec start, doing without them or welding in a position where the feet don't touch the pedal can make the going difficult. I've had to do both but I like all the whistles and bells that come with TIG welding. To stay in practice I spend a little time and go on a diet to stay proficient. The guys I know who do resturant work (stainless) never use the remote control.

For those who only know TIG aluminum A.C., try DCSP/DCEN. Helium is required but it's fast, really fast.

For those who only know TIG aluminum A.C., try DCSP/DCEN. Helium is required but it's fast, really fast.
I am assuming that is for thick aluminum or can you do thin stuff?

Back