How To... Attach Aluminum Waterjet Cut Letters To Backer Board

auto.pilot

Active User
Registered
I cut these large letters using a waterjet and plan to attach them to a backer board, most likely 3/4 inch thick maple plywood. They are 1/2 inch thick and approximately 14 inches tall. Yesterday, I made the spacers from 9/16 aluminum rod. They will hold each letter off the background by 0.75 inches. I'd like to use threaded rod, because I don't know how to weld aluminum and don't want to learn now! My plan was to use 1/4 - 20 threaded rod (or bolts).

Questions:
-Thinking about corrosion...can I use stainless, with permatex, or should I stick with aluminum? The sign will be inside.

-The letters will be drilled using a drill press. I suppose the threads only need to extend 1/4 inch into each hole. I've never tapped a partial hole like this. Is there anything to consider? I'm concerned that the tap will bottom out before making suitable threads.

Thanks

Jim

Large waterjet letters.jpg

With a 1/2" thickness, you should be fine. Use care drilling the holes so you don't break through. You will want to use a bottoming tap. I had tapped many hundreds of 4-40 holes in 1/4" aluminum in past years. One trick is to purchase an extra tap and grind the tip flat. I ground it so the the point where it just touched the thread, leaving no lead-in. I also slightly rounded the end to prevent digging in. If your "normal" bottoming tap has a pointed tip, grind that flat or slightly domed as well.

I first used the normal bottoming tap to start the tapped hole properly. Then I follow through with the modified tap to clean up the last thread or two.

If I had a choice, I would use 1/4-28 threads instead of 1/4-20. I would also use a tap guide to ensure the tap is running true.

Aluminum will hold up well inside. Stainless will be much harder to tap.

I think I would stick with Aluminum, and for attachment do a tight press fit to avoid having to tap them. Warm up the letters and put the standoffs in the freezer before insertion. Mike

If you go the threaded option, you should use stainless fasteners. Moisture, aluminum, and steel don't play well together.

Thanks all... I decided to tap the aluminum letters and use stainless threaded posts. I like the freeze/thaw idea, but I'm somewhat concerned about pull-out and durability, since this sign may be moved later.

Threaded aluminum rod is difficult to find. Long aluminum machine screws are impossible!

Thanks

Jim

I cut these large letters using a waterjet and plan to attach them to a backer board, most likely 3/4 inch thick maple plywood. They are 1/2 inch thick and approximately 14 inches tall. Yesterday, I made the spacers from 9/16 aluminum rod. They will hold each letter off the background by 0.75 inches. I'd like to use threaded rod, because I don't know how to weld aluminum and don't want to learn now! My plan was to use 1/4 - 20 threaded rod (or bolts).

Questions:
-Thinking about corrosion...can I use stainless, with permatex, or should I stick with aluminum? The sign will be inside.

-The letters will be drilled using a drill press. I suppose the threads only need to extend 1/4 inch into each hole. I've never tapped a partial hole like this. Is there anything to consider? I'm concerned that the tap will bottom out before making suitable threads.

Thanks

Jim

View attachment 139668
A ratio of 1 diameter of thread engagement is all that is needed anything beyond that does not increase strength. You may not have noticed that commercially available nuts are less then 1 thread major diameter long, heavy hex nuts are often 1 thread diameter in length, for an indoor sign application less then 1/4" thread engagement is more than sufficient.

An 3' length of 1/4-20 aluminum threaded rod may be purchased from McMaster-Carr for $4.46

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-threaded-rods/=154eatp

Back