How To Assemble A Milling Machine In A Low Ceiling Basement

I cut 4 inchs off bottom of a Hurco cnc mill so it would clear the rafters.. You could have built a shorter base.. Typically machinery is already so low a tall man would need to bend way over or sit on a stool to operate it.

It's threads like this that make me feel so inadequate and lazy. I might've been more inclined to just say "ain't gonna fit" and took up stamp collecting or something.
Okay, not that extreme, but I'm in awe and admiration of a guy with this much determination.
Hope it's cozy and comfy and productive in these upcoming winter months.

Wrat

I cut 4 inchs off bottom of a Hurco cnc mill so it would clear the rafters.. You could have built a shorter base.. Typically machinery is already so low a tall man would need to bend way over or sit on a stool to operate it.
I could have, but as you pointed out it would be too low for my liking. Also, it would be a lot more work to build a new base that would be as rigid as the factory base that weighs about 800 lbs.

Indeed..Several of my machines are on risers so I don't have to bend over so bad. My manual mill- an Enco Bridgeport clone is on top of a ten inch steel platform......But Cutting from base of machine seems practical rather than cutting the floor above because now your machine cant be moved to different spot in your shop...

Indeed..Several of my machines are on risers so I don't have to bend over so bad. My manual mill- an Enco Bridgeport clone is on top of a ten inch steel platform......But Cutting from base of machine seems practical rather than cutting the floor above because now your machine cant be moved to different spot in your shop...
The base of the mill is one piece cast iron, there would be no way of cutting it down with out ruining its integrity. See photo, I painted the interior, I feared it may have been coated with red lead primer.
IMG_8388.jpg
On this mill the head moves for the Z axis so when its in its low position it easily clears the underside of the floor joists. Even the Z servo motor (which is at a fixed height) clears the joists though it may not clear all the pipes, so if I ever needed to move the mill I might need to remove it. I will post pictures once I do the modification to the floor, I am a builder so its really no big deal. Also, there isn't much live load on that section of floor, as it's in the guest bedroom, mostly under the bed.

Last edited:
Yeah, she was totally cool about it, she even said she thought the hole would have been bigger, LOL. I plugged it up and its under the bed when the room is back in order.
The head will go all the way up on the Z, however the head is tight between the joists, so not much room for the drawbar wench, I am going to cut out a section of one of the joists and put in a header.
. Flowers, a nice bottle of. White wine, and
Dinner out.........BLJHB.

Back