How reliable is 'Matt' at PM?

I have been on the bluemachine yahoo group (the group was started by a person that was in the process of researching PM machines and buying one, and unlike the Logan group is not run by the company, but Matt is on the group and does respond to it when needed) since it started and although I have not dealt with Matt directly, I have seen his responses on the yahoo group and I believe him to be an upstanding dealer of machine tools. He tends to be very busy, but at the same time, has been very good about supporting the machines and client. He has at times had delays in getting enough stock in to fill orders, and has scrambled to fulfill all orders, but has proven that he is doing his best. Also, he inspects all the machines before shipping them to make sure they are up to his standards, so unlike some of the other places where you get whatever is in the crate, as arrived from China, here you at least get one that is inspected and known to be "what you ordered"

Definetely worth giving him a chance.

Walter

7HC et.al...

I'll be the first to admit that Matt is sometimes hard to get in contact with but, it's always worth the wait. And for the record, I've been working to get setup as a dealer for him to help a little. There's been a number of people on this list and others who wanted to order a machine and they just let me know and I get their name on the list. Most machines are sold before the shipments arrive (which happens 3-4 times a year or more) but when some are not spoken for, all I had to do was send him a note. The buyer and Matt eventually hook-up to work the numbers and he's well aware that one of the machines has their name on it -even before a penny was transacted. He's never let me down.

Also, Matt's company consists of himself and his wife, Nicole. Nicole can take an order but, leaves any technical questions to Matt. That said, Matt checks every machine himself and does any customer specified mods before sending it out. It's a lot of hard work! He hires a few PT people but has had a hard time finding reliable help. When orders come in, he's well aware that folks want their machines and he busts his hump to process them -more often than not, 12 and 14 hour days.

Right at the moment, I desperately need a taper attachment for my machine but I also know that the last few days, he's moving to get a big batch of 1127's out the door. -And another shipment of other stuff is coming soon... So, I'm just going to wait until he gets a breather.

All I can ask is to be patient -even though I know how much desire builds-up once you decided to pull the trigger on a big purchase. Also, you can PM me with any technical questions about most of the lathes and the PM-45 mills and most of the time, I can help out. This is my busy season (both at my real job and my shop) but, I always check here every couple hours and PM's go right to my cell phone email...

Ray

Hey Guys,
Yes I talked to him this evening, no problem. I went out to meet with one of our trucking reps for lunch, and then got called out for service to a local steel mill, and ended up being there about 6 hours. Thats why I was not here this time.

So other than if I have a service call, or I am in Taiwan or something, OR there is a Pens game at home, I will be here.

And yes Ray helps me out a lot, and has GREAT information, wish he was closer to here!

You have it close too, Nicole is not actually my wife, I think she will put it best in her own words, but pretty much that if I was the last man alive, she would never marry me! That is why I can work these hours, no wife, no kids.

And I have a few more full time employees than that too, but yes you are right, good help is hard to find. I end up doing a lot of the really technical things like wiring in VFD's, and any special modifications that none of the other places would ever think of. Sometimes its great, sometimes it causes problems, it can be really hard to take phone calls when wiring something up, every call makes me lose my thought, and then it turns an 8 hour job in to 20.
The guys I have in the shop are really good with the machines, but not always so good on the phone.

Anyway yes I am pretty much here most of the time (Even now, 12:30am) trying to catch up.

If anyone knows anyone in Pittsburgh looking for a job, who knows about these kinds of machines, AND can use a computer, and talk on the phone, PLEASE let me know! I need around 3-4 people and people can either run a machine and hate to talk about it, or can't turn on a computer, or something like that.

Heck I should do what the others do, receive a crate, ship a crate, and never even see it. And no DRO Installs, or anything like that. If that was the case, I would have all the time in the world!

Matt, if you ever need a Southern rep, I might be available.

7HC et al.......

.......................All I can ask is to be patient -even though I know how much desire builds-up once you decided to pull the trigger on a big purchase.
Ray

Exactly! However, now I've spoken to Matt I anticipate that the transaction will proceed smoothly. Looking forward to the arrival of a PM-932M in the near future. http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM-932M.html M

I've recently purchased a 14 x 40 lathe from Matt. I had no worries after talking to him one time.
The machine came in when he said it would. Almost perfect condition. I'm very happy.
All I need now is more time to play. Solo

I ordered a mill from Matt a couple of weeks ago. I used email, and he got back to me in a day.

In my opinion, it's pretty unrealistic to expect a small business owner to drop whatever he's doing to pick up or return a call quickly. He probably gets enough interruptions every day to make it difficult to keep up. Glad you were able to get your questions answered.

Edit/ I ordered the 932 mill too. I'm looking forward to its arrival very much! /Edit

Walt

I just bought a PM1440LB from Matt in October, 2013. He is super easy to work with, and is there for you when you need help. He sometimes is out of town, like a previous member posted, but will get back to you. I had a few minor problems with my machine, and he told me exactly what to check,...he is extremely knowledgeable about his machines. I have also heard of problems with Grizzly customer service, and you will not find that with Matt. Rest assured that you will be dealing with a very reputable and honest person. I will be purchasing a large mill from him in the Spring.

Jim

I purchased a PM1340GT Lathe and PM932 Mill from Matt this year. Matt and his staff are the best you will find. Matt and the machines that he sells are in high demand because of outstanding quality at the lowest price. A little patience and Matt will aways come through for you.
Steve

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

My original post which started this thread was from many months ago when I was having extreme difficulty contacting Matt; which at the time I found puzzling as others had found him to be readily available.
However the situation has long since been resolved and I purchased a PM45 (type) mill with which I am complete satisfied.

I received an excellent value along with excellent customer service.

I'm pleased to see that many others have received the same level of value and service as indicated by the many posts in this thread.

If you're looking for a lathe, mill or tooling I can recommend PM without hesitation.

M

Last edited:
Back