How reliable is 'Matt' at PM?

7HC

Active User
Registered
So I called PM at noon today to check stock of, and to place an order for a PM 932M mill. Was told they'd be in in the next week or two, but I should speak to Matt to place the order. Matt's at lunch so he'll call me as soon as he returns in an hour. An hour and a half later, still no call, so I call back and Matt's still at lunch but he'll definitely call me. Now it's 2.30pm, still no call, 3.30pm, nope no call still, "He's not here, can I take a message?" 4.30pm, no call, 5.30pm, still no call and having waited in all afternoon to place the order I now have to go out. I appreciate that this is only a piddling order for $2.5K in total but if this is the attitude before they've got my money I hate to think what it would be like trying to get any service from them after they've got it! I was intending to follow the order for the mill with one for the PM-1127VF-LB (Large Bore) Lathe @ $2249.00, but I expect you can guess how I feel about that now. :angry: I was prepared to pay more for the PM mill than Grizzly wanted, in order to avoid the wait because the Grizzly G0704 is back ordered, but now I'll just wait for it to come in and I'll order my lathe from Grizzly too. I always understood PM to have a good reputation, but a company that finds it too much trouble to take an order isn't one that gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling that any further dealings with them will turn out well! M

While I realize you're upset, and I'm still basically a newb here (and I have no afiliation with this company), people have emergencies during life and sometimes they can not be reached. Just take a breath and remember a time in your life when this had happened to you. If it hasn't, just feel blessed that it hasn't and give him some slack as it might be a serious issue.

Just trying to help-
Dave

I have read that his customer service is great. . . I wouldn't give up on him just yet. he is busy as hell and if I have read right from others on this forum, you certainly will get a call from him.

I have had a mill on order since feb, and email him about every two weeks or so to check on the status, he has always responded. . . . .

that's my take.....

While I realize you're upset, and I'm still basically a newb here (and I have no afiliation with this company), people have emergencies during life and sometimes they can not be reached. Just take a breath and remember a time in your life when this had happened to you. If it hasn't, just feel blessed that it hasn't and give him some slack as it might be a serious issue.

Just trying to help-
Dave

Not only did I pause to take a breath, I had occasion to take several. I wasn't ranting on the phone at PM's staff members, just politely asking why I wasn't being contacted as promised. Sure, he could have had a heart attack or been in a car crash; it's possible but rather unlikely. However, my number was left with at least two staff members at the company who were aware that I was trying to contact Matt because he hadn't got back to me. A simple phone call to say that due to unforeseen (I'll give the benefit of the doubt here) circumstances, I would be contacted tomorrow about my order, would have allayed my doubts. In the unlikely event that some tragedy has befallen Matt, then of course I would understand and he would have my every sympathy. However, my post just relates what happened when I tried to place an order today. You could have totally different experience trying to place an order on another day. When I have a good experience with a company I'm just as keen to spread the word as when I have an unsatisfactory one as I did today. M

I have read that his customer service is great. . . I wouldn't give up on him just yet. he is busy as hell and if I have read right from others on this forum, you certainly will get a call from him.

I have had a mill on order since feb, and email him about every two weeks or so to check on the status, he has always responded. . . . .

that's my take.....

I'd read the same thing, which is why I was so disappointed at the experience I had today. Being busy isn't an excuse for poor customer service. However, I've suffered no loss except a wasted afternoon. Much better to have had the poor experience before spending my money there, than after! M

I don't have a dog in this fight so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Good help is hard to find, even in these times. It's possible that the people answering the phones aren't the most competent, caring, efficient, customer service minded people. Perhaps Matt didn't even get the message. It happens.

If it were me, I would email him directly. He probably gets him email on his phone. That way you bypass the middle man and possible ball drops. If you ever do talk to him, let him know what you experienced and your displeasure with the lack of follow up. Most owners want to know if their employees are doing their jobs.

Just my two cents.

He's a member here, so I'm sure he will be responding shortly.

I'd read the same thing, which is why I was so disappointed at the experience I had today. Being busy isn't an excuse for poor customer service. However, I've suffered no loss except a wasted afternoon. Much better to have had the poor experience before spending my money there, than after! M

UPDATE: Finally heard from Matt (7.45pm), he's fit and well, and having spoken with him at some length I feel confident in placing an order. I just wish he had been able to respond when it was indicated that he would, or that a member of staff could have kept me updated. I'm now looking forward to being able to post a positive review of the mill in several weeks time. He's promised a faster delivery than Grizzly and will honor the free tooling package (vise, collets, clamps) even though the cutoff date was in April. That isn't just for me, but for anyone who is about to place an order now. M

I've simply used email to contact him, and received a reply the same day every time. The guy does a lot of running around, so he may not be available at the office phone when you need him. Be patient and send him an email instead. You'll be sure that he didn't miss a message then, and I know he'll get back to you.
admin@machinetoolonline.com is what I've used.

--I see you posted an update while I was posting. told you! ;)

I am glad your situation turned out well. Even a great and well intentioned businessperson can miss a few moments. I know it may look like a bad sign, but from what I have heard, I think he is loyal to the customers he already has at least as much or more than the new ones with new money showing up. He doesn't seem like the "now I have their money, next victim" type. You are on the other side now.

I had a similar situation buying a camera last year. I haven't had to work so hard to spend money on a long time. But it wasn't dealing with the owner directly.

I think you will be happy you and Matt hooked up.

Bernie

Back