How often do you measure over 12"?

Oh you have the money , you gotta have the biggest YA can. At least 36" minimum 24" . But I'm a toolaholic and have to many tools or do I .

I have mikes up to 16" left over from dad's shop. I have not used any one of them over 9" since we shut the shop down in 2003. I do have digital and dial calipers up to 12" and they get used quite often. Also have vernier calipers up to 40" and they get used about once a year. Will I get rid of any of them? Probably not. Let my kids deal with that after I'm gone.

My largest mic is a 6" also. I really don't have the need for accuracy better than a couple thou for larger than that. I regularly use a 6" caliper, digital too. I use calipers for quick & easy measurements. But I do have 12" & 18" Mitutoyo vernier calipers in wooden cases.

I was fine with the 12" but recently had to measure something that was 15" long. Came across the 18" so I picked it up. They don't get used often so vernier was fine with me & I got them for great prices anyway.

When I was bidding on the 18" I was also bidding on a 60" Mitu vernier. Price got to high so I backed out. I probably would have never used it anyway.

My mics and calipers go up to 12" and I hadn't needed to take a precision measurement over 12" so far in the last few years of home shop machining. Just wondering if its worth picking up a 18" or 24" caliper for the off chance I may need one. Just don't want to spend money on tools I may never use. For those that own larger measuring tools how often do you use them?

I have a 12" dial caliper that I have used once in 8 years. A couple decades ago while visiting a vendor in Springfield MA I was shown a seven foot vernier unit that they were required to have in order to bid on military jobs. I didn't ask how often it was used.

I have only used my 12" dial caliper twice in several years. For large stuff, you could possibly get by with plain calipers, if you are fitting in piece to another and both are on hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a 24" calipers that's been used once. Have 12" calipers (dial type) at two lathes and a mill. Have digital 12" at the two lathes. Have 8" digitals at each machine; also 6" dial/digital and 4" 'ers.

Bruce

I carry a 12" caliper with me as I travel to set up clamps on bottle making machines, but what prompted my input to this thread was an ex- engineer I worked with would regularly specify dimensions in excess of 100" to 4 decimal places. For a part that in times past would have been laid out with a tape measure

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

At the company picnic the engineer would be in the process of explaining the project; He stops mid sentence and says to my coworker and I who were sitting across the table, "you guys don't even do that" as we shake our heads no. Must have been our facial expressions. :)

It is 3' , not sure what it came off ov, it has shcs's on the ends
And is built rite :cool:

I'm questioning if it came off of anything and Built-Rite probably isn't in the tool making business anymore. The positive is they are still in the US making tool and die products specific to the injection mould industry. Maybe the screws in the ends are just to keep the vernier scale on. Leave it outside tonight and I'll come by to inspect it. :big grin:

Edit; I'm surprised I can't find any information on it. It is a nice measuring tool and I could see it mounted to the lathe but I think it would have more uses otherwise.

Last edited:
Back