How often do you measure over 12"?

DLANE Where did you get such beast? Thats really cool. Is it actually a yard long? What type of end piece does the scale have on it?

Grumpy

My mics and calipers go up to 12" and I hadn't needed to take a precision measurement over 12" so far in the last few years of home shop machining. Just wondering if its worth picking up a 18" or 24" caliper for the off chance I may need one. Just don't want to spend money on tools I may never use. For those that own larger measuring tools how often do you use them?
I wish I had some 12" vernier calipers starrett 123
They are better that dial calipers but far .

My mic's only go to 6 inch, very seldom need high precision above that but have a 24 inch Fowler dial caliber that gets used a few times a year.

Greg

I use my 24" calipers about once a month. When I have to, they are worth their weight in gold. I also have 18s, 12s, 8s and 6s.

Randy

It is 3' , not sure what it came off ov, it has shcs's on the ends
And is built rite :cool:

I carry a 12" caliper with me as I travel to set up clamps on bottle making machines, but what prompted my input to this thread was an ex- engineer I worked with would regularly specify dimensions in excess of 100" to 4 decimal places. For a part that in times past would have been laid out with a tape measure

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back