How often do you clean up the swarf on your lathe/Mill

I'm with sophijo... I vacuum and wipe the machine and surrounding areas down every time I use the equipment! Well, I have a garage with my Harley, Scooter, two Toyota's and a Housemouse that helps keep me in check. I'd never hear the end of it, dragging all the swarf in the house from my shoes...
dinkin

I,m with amsoilman and dinkin. I clean and vac. after every job.
The only safe way to do it. snugrat :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I try to get it cleaned up every job. More if the job generates a lot of swarf that gets in the way. I keep a shop vac plugged in next to the mill and lathe and can just reach over and turn it on. I am not a real stickler though as I am the only one around and stop often in process and have a job paused for quite a while during the week.

I don't use compressed air. Not because I have anything against it but I don't have (and wouldn't have) a compressor. I hate dealing with them. They are just like any other tool. They can be used with care and they can be abused. I use a shop vac to pick up the little stuff along with a broom or just my hands for the long stuff that would stick in the vac.

I clean and vacuum every morning. I have a Tormach PCNC 1100 in my garage and I use flood coolant on it. I leave the chips in is over night so most of the coolant can drain back in to the tank. I'll get about 95% of the coolant back that way. I also have a pair of shoes that I wear out there, and they NEVER make it into the house.

I'll use compressed air to clean the machine in places where a broom, brush or rag won't reach, but I have the pressure turned down to 30 PSI so I don't blow crap all over the garage. It's not necessary to have a 100 PSI air hose to clean your machine.

Last edited:
If I am working with cast iron or wood, I set up a vacuum hose right at the cut, before dust or chips even hit the table or the ground. VERY EFFECTIVE.

Besides that, I use a brush to keep swarf off the cutter and out of the way.

Then I usually :) clean up the rest when I'm done.

Bernie

Back