How much room needed behind 1236T?

I left about 2 feet. I have a poor man's DRO on the back of my xslide and often go back there for adjustments and to sweep. I removed my backsplash for obvious reasons and you can see my blue improvised splash in the picture. I'm an eighth of a ton on the hoof and don't like shortages of geography.

Attachments

• CROSS SLIDE DI MOUNT WIDE.JPG
    CROSS SLIDE DI MOUNT WIDE.JPG
    688.4 KB · Views: 58
Like most of us, my shop space is limited. For me when I was looking at spots to put machinery I realized that I was loosing wall space that was used for storage. So, when I went to set the lathe I determined that about 18-20 inches behind it would leave enough space to get to the wiring box and get the cross slide off. Now I use the space behind for storage so I didn't loose that wall space. I put the mill to the left of the lathe and long work that sticks thru the spindle will go over the mill table and under the mill quill. I have a 1236 and a 932.

Pics showing what I settled on re space from the back wall for my new 1236T. Plenty of room to reach the leveling screws and room to clean and sweep. On with the swarf!! :)

JT

Attachments

• 20230123_172359.jpg
    20230123_172359.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 20230123_172422.jpg
    20230123_172422.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 20230123_172503.jpg
    20230123_172503.jpg
    480.5 KB · Views: 49
It just made sense in my case given the room I had and the prospect of having to remove the bulky chip guard on occasion.
I did set it up with 24", after looking at it and the chip guard it made more sense.... I am glad I did now.

Like most of us, my shop space is limited. For me when I was looking at spots to put machinery I realized that I was loosing wall space that was used for storage. So, when I went to set the lathe I determined that about 18-20 inches behind it would leave enough space to get to the wiring box and get the cross slide off. Now I use the space behind for storage so I didn't loose that wall space. I put the mill to the left of the lathe and long work that sticks thru the spindle will go over the mill table and under the mill quill. I have a 1236 and a 932.
Yeah, I with I could have used that arrangement but I do not have that much space in a single stretch. I have the PM1236 and a PM 940.

Consider this: most of us have shops that seem small and crowded. If, not, please skip to the next post. :)
Space between equipment and walls for access is wasted space. Avoiding that, I set the lathe and mill backing up to the room centerline, and behind them put machines accessible from the other side of the room. In my case, the lathe and my big 9x16” horizontal bandsaw are back to back, with the bandsaw on steel wheels. It’s easily movable for long material or other unusual cuts. The mill is to the left of the lathe, whose spindle axis passes over the mill table region, so very long stock can be used. And if needed, the mill table can support the long stock, using V blocks, bearings, etc. Behind the mill is the big vertical Jet VBS-900 vertical bandsaw…not easily movable, but there is not really any access required behind a Bridgeport.

So my point is, consider putting the equipment in the center of the room, and keeping all the equipment to wall space as useful area.
Actually, I have other tools which need to be stored and the area behind the Lathe is a great plce to put them.

In my "ideal" shop that makes sense to put machines in the middle. Everything but my lathe is on rollers because I also have to put a car in there on a (not daily) but regular basis. Being able to roll tables and carts to the edge when not in use is beneficial to my situation.

In my "ideal" shop that makes sense to put machines in the middle. Everything but my lathe is on rollers because I also have to put a car in there on a (not daily) but regular basis. Being able to roll tables and carts to the edge when not in use is beneficial to my situation.
Awesome, we do the opposite in our shops- my toy cars are on dollies in the middle, and I move them around to use equipment along the wall. That's too good to make up!

My toy car was and now my quad is on dollies. Works great and when everything is tucked away there is lots of room to work on bulky stuff.
The lathe sits on the floor along a wall but everything else is on wheels.

My lathe and Mill are stationary along the wall, everything else is on wheels. I want to be able to use both if I am working on a truck and need to make or repair something.

Back