How much interference?

Originally the manufacturer used nylon reversing gears with needle bearings on hardened stub shafts. Needless to say, I am now having to make gears since they used nylon gears and those gears are now not available. Would have made the gears of brass but couldn't find appropriate stock locally so opted for 6061 aluminum instead. I am using 0-1 for the stub shaft and I will harden it. Everything about this 1980 version Jet lathe is metric except the lead screw. The needle bearing is available from INA and is 10 mm ID and 14 mm (.552 inch) OD. The gear OD is actually .930 with 22 tooth. I used 1/2 inch and one inch for my description as nominal figures. Thanks for all the input. I'll go with appx. .0003 interference with some Loctite. Since they are only open on one end, I can always lightly stake them if I need to.

Yellow cad,

You are on the right track! Even if the needle bearing winds up with a "slip" fit, a dab of Loctite will fix it. If I was doing this, I would leave the O-1 as is, just polish the heck out of it where the bearing runs. It'll out last you and others before it gets any wear.:cool:

Back