How much do machinist make?

I think the only way to make a lot of money as a machinist is to specialize. I see that such a great skill doesn't pay what it should.
IMHO, machinists should be making at least $25/hr. starting pay and go up from there if your talented.

I see too many US jobs getting outsourced and/or H1b visa imports at half the pay. Automation is killing the machinist trade, cnc to robottics. I would tell a young person today to study math, programming and engineering. I hope all the "hand work" trades never disappear. There is nothing like something crafted by your own two hands
and intellect. Unfortunately, it looks like like progress will make this a quaint pastime for most.
I agree somewhat. Manual machiniats are a dinasour but there will always be a need for our skill. I feel like the home shop machinist will also keep the trade alive in some capacity. Change is inevitable. The old farmers with a team of horses said the same about progress and automation but farmers are still growing food. Do I like it? No but all I can do is keep on making a living and hopefully transfer some knowledge to my nephews and others. Still learning how to run a machine myself. My home shop will keep me busy in the later years unless health becomes a issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Yes and I did say that progress is inevitable. That's how life works on this planet. My lament concerns that hand trades and skills.
Many are not being taught or passed down. I'm somewhat of a machinist, mostly hobby and some work applications, but I love machining and all
hand skills. Computers produce some marvelous work, in all fields. But there is nothing like the "warmth" and soul of a hand made piece of work.
It also has more value. Manual skills are an art form in many ways. It's just sad to watch it all disappear and no interest from this new generation.
(generally speaking). (sign of age, "these kids today...). ;)

Yes and I did say that progress is inevitable. That's how life works on this planet. My lament concerns that hand trades and skills.
Many are not being taught or passed down. I'm somewhat of a machinist, mostly hobby and some work applications, but I love machining and all
hand skills. Computers produce some marvelous work, in all fields. But there is nothing like the "warmth" and soul of a hand made piece of work.
It also has more value. Manual skills are an art form in many ways. It's just sad to watch it all disappear and no interest from this new generation.
(generally speaking). (sign of age, "these kids today...). ;)
I know. Building my little home shop will hopefully spark my nephews interest. My neighbors son is also taking interest. I have a good friend who runs a small shop. His 32 year old son is taking it over which gives me hope. They have a mix of cnc and manual machines. Some hope in site.

I started doing machine work as a lathe operator in a production line in 1984 and was making, if I remember correctly, $3.45 an hour. It was a dime over minimum and you wouldn't believe what they expected for their money. Then I went to a different shop in 1987 or 88 and they paid me $6 /hr. My point here is that you will never be rich doing machine work unless you work for NASA or something. With that being said, you don't need to be rich to be happy.

I started doing machine work as a lathe operator in a production line in 1984 and was making, if I remember correctly, $3.45 an hour. It was a dime over minimum and you wouldn't believe what they expected for their money. Then I went to a different shop in 1987 or 88 and they paid me $6 /hr. My point here is that you will never be rich doing machine work unless you work for NASA or something. With that being said, you don't need to be rich to be happy.
Same here I made $4.40 a hour back in 1979 fresh out of vo tech. Not much over minimum wage. After several years I was making more money than most of my friends but a lot of responsibility. Scrap a few parts and you were on the bubble. Glad I took this route but it is not easy.

I remember getting $10.80 a week as a first year apprentice back in 61, and in 66 when I became a fully qualified toolmaker I was getting $44.00 per week. That was $1.10 per hour Times have changed. but I'm not sure if it's for the better.

When my son came home from his tour in Afghanistan he was fortunate enough to get into a program through the Boiler Makers and Steamfitters for returning servicemen. His entry level pay was $45 hr. He went back to school while with the boiler makers and got his ticket once he served his apprenticeship. He now makes 100K + a year and this with down time when he has no jobs to go to!! So find what you like and take every opportunity that comes along.

Back