How much do machinist make?

no although I did work for southern California Edison and machined parts for songs but then went to work for pacific gas and electric at diablo canyon. bill

Oh okay. I had a supervisor that left and went to Diablo Canyon.

Damn good advice all around. After graduating H.S. early, I enlisted in the US Navy as a Hull Maintenance Technician. I had taken any and all industrial arts classes offered from JR high-HS, so I had a pretty good idea what I was cut out for in life. Prior to any shop classes, I was fixing (or trying) things and always learning. It comes down to ambition and not being afraid to try. Although I felt like a slave in the Navy, the exposure to classes, courses and machines coupled with long hours of work gave me an advantage. After separating from that branch, I enlisted in the USAF, took a bust in rank (gave up money) for a career change and learned aircraft fuel systems but always welded on the side. My friends and family consider me a "workaholic" but I'm still learning new things. Fast forward, my body has been though a lot, but I'm fairly self reliant and fit. I can correctly fix most of what I own. I'm 4 years away from a hansom pension and still work for myself after hours. Early on, I didn't have time to ponder my happiness as I kept busy working and learning becoming an asset to someone along the way. I think someone mentioned "its not how much you make, its how much you keep", I try to live by this rule. The years of knowledge should pay off during your life's journy. I have a lot more to learn god willing, but have been mostly happy over the years. Happiness is very important as is surrounding yourself with good people.

My point is to keep learning even if it means loosing some income along the way, as you move on you'll become more valuable to someone and make more money as you progress in life. That said, I've always been blessed with side work of all sorts. I don't invest my time in sports or long hours watching TV, theres too much to learn.
Last bit and most important, invest in your health.
I'm sorry I didn't answer your question directly, but I hope you can find a little piece of the puzzle in what you read. It echoes other postings for the most part.
Knowledge is power.

I know this is kinda sensitive but I didn't see anything about it in the rules.
I live in USA, Texas. Today at work I started wondering if this is what I wanted to do for my career.

Pretty much a co-worker asked me if I was going to become a machinist or go to school for something because machinist don't make that much money. I don't really remember what I said but it was very unclear as we got interrupted or something. I was thinking that I might have to go to school to learn some stuff for machining, but what I keep thinking about is if machinist don't make good money?

I know another coworker has a pretty nice truck and has a pretty fast car too as well has guns... I don't know what his wife does but it makes me think he's doing well? I as a general laborer think I get paid pretty well for what I do but I worry about my knees and how much I will have to rebuy tools. (Someone is using calipers from the 80's and they're still in good shape then I'm using some from 2000's that have worn nibs and someone just got some new calipers) Like buying calipers every year.

As I do think I get paid nicely, I don't think its near enough for me to live alone. If I did I'm pretty sure it would be pretty rough... So how much do machinist make? My shop has many cnc machines but does keep manual machines around. Anything like "I used to make XX when I started" or maybe a wage you have succeeded would be helpful to me.

Basically wondering if I want to graduate from general laborer to machinist or to something else. I need to start working on it soon.

Thanks,
Awaqa909
I started out as a welder in VoTec at 16 years old
I welded ship yards at 17 years old and until I reached 19 years old . Welding
My Daddy was a aircraft Mechanic , I was welding in a big fabrication shop inside some big tanks it was killing me . I could tell .
I would come home my lungs was slap full of black smoke from breathing all that welding smoke.
One day at lunch I was talking to a old man
That looked to me at the time to be 70 years old -
He was not but 50 years old . He told me if I could
Go back to VoTec and learn the Machinist trade
That I should do it .
I had no idea what a Machinist was I asked him to show me . We went to the machine shop and he kinda pointed out some of the things that I would be doing .
I went home and talked to my Daddy about it
And my Daddy got very exited and started right away encouraging me. To do it .
Daddy always told me that a
Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss
So I quit that welding job went home and signed up
For VoTec and took the Machine Shop Training
Coarse. The rest is History .
I am retired now at 62 years old and never regretted one minute of my Decision .
I have made a good living .
I did not get Rich but I planted my roots
Tight and gathered lots of moss

Oh and by the way you will never learn all of this trade there is just to much to learn
I am still learning in this trade

I had to take a machining class as a requirement for my chosen degree at tech school. I immediately fell in love with what I was learning and operating the equipment, making parts, precision measurements, etc. At this time I would be making half of what I make now but I'd like to believe I wouldn't be miserable in my job like I am now. Follow you gut feeling.

You never know how your life will end up. My dad never went to college, started in the mail room of a Grocers Company...ended up being head of their IT department through his own effort to learn (he was in the middle of the computer generation) and move up. We were never rich growing up but I never remember "going without"....you earned and saved up for what you wanted.

He insisted his kids go to college. Both my brother and I went to Engineering School since we were always mechanical. I started as a low level engineer and now Manage a Engineering Delivery Center, my brother runs a Suspension group at GM. The only engineering I do now in in my home shop, work is on the people side and finance. And Finance is a whole another world from what I went to school for...but you either step up, stick your neck out or get passed by. Doing what you like should be the main focus. Most days I can't stand my job, but I like those who I work with and trying to push new engineering efforts. It pays the bills, my wife was able to stay at home and raise the kids (important to me) and my kids have what they need (a little more spoiled than I had it 8) ). They also save and earn what they want. If they want something they know to come to me with the cash, they don't always pay all but they know they will pay some.

Now I have a 16 yr old that needs to start thinking about a future. I have lots of friends in the trades and alot in "college" jobs. Either path, the common ground seems to be do something you enjoy. So that's probably how I'll help my son decide his path, whichever way he chooses he'll have to put in the effort to get where he wants to go

The best way to become more valuable to your current employer. Show some initiative in your position now. Be the guy they want to train. I spent over a decade bouncing between job shops (oilfield repair shops to begin with straight out of vo tech) Learned a lot from every guy I worked with and some bad habits to boot. I always wanted to know anything I could about the whole operation.
Later I owned my own construction business for a couple years and finally landed at a production plant as a maintenance machinist/mechanic. I wanted stability to raise my family and did not want to try to make a quota of parts every day any longer. I found i enjoy one off prototype work the most. Still do some to improve the machinery and process I work on now but not enough. That turned out to be much more satisfying for me.
Start saving money in a IRA or 401k now. At least put in enough at work to get their match if they offer. Use Vanguard or Scottrade to invest on your own as soon as possible. Be smart don't saddle yourself with debt trying to impress anyone (especially a woman). That just makes you miserable and limits your job changes.
I changed jobs frequently early on mostly due to the fact they were not challenging me any longer or were not keeping up with the pay raises as they should have. Been working at this place for 25 years now so I guess this is permanent. Retirement is a few years out and no regrets really for any of the jobs I had. I have worked with a lot of really unhappy guys and gals in the past. You will become discouraged at first but will figure out what you are good at and happy doing. Enjoy life it really is possible.

Read a lot and develop a wide vocabulary. Be safe. Make fun of other people. (just kidding)
Mark S.

I think the only way to make a lot of money as a machinist is to specialize. I see that such a great skill doesn't pay what it should.
IMHO, machinists should be making at least $25/hr. starting pay and go up from there if your talented.

I see too many US jobs getting outsourced and/or H1b visa imports at half the pay. Automation is killing the machinist trade, cnc to robottics. I would tell a young person today to study math, programming and engineering. I hope all the "hand work" trades never disappear. There is nothing like something crafted by your own two hands
and intellect. Unfortunately, it looks like like progress will make this a quaint pastime for most.

Back