How much do machinist make?

[B said:
So[/B] how much do machinist make? My shop has many cnc machines but does keep manual machines around. Anything like "I used to make XX when I started" or maybe a wage you have succeeded would be helpful to me.
Basically wondering if I want to graduate from general laborer to machinist or to something else. I need to start working on it soon.

There a wide range of pay scales, depending on many factors and on the definition of "machinist". Generally, toolmakers for military industries and unionized large manufacturers (what's left of them) make the most — approaching $100,000 including benefits – but then there are "machinists" who are basically just CNC button-pushers making $15/hr ($30,000).

One strategy that helps a lot is to get official credentials, such as journeyman papers from industry/union/government apprenticeship programs. These are in decline, but still available in most states/provinces. They take about four years of work+study.
The main alternative is NIMS credentialing, which are "performance based" exams and test pieces. See https://www.nims-skills.org/web/nims/6

First, I would like to say thanks for putting it out there, it means you're thinking about it. When you ask about salary, are you asking about a machinist or machine operator? This question is something to think about when addressing salary because it's relative. Knowledge, your education is something that can't be taken away, so go for it, but don't go for it simply because of the $$$$ you see. My "Life is Good" coffee cup reads; "Do what you love, Love what you do. I've been pushed by quite a few close friends and acquaintances to become an engineer. It's not that I have any doubts about abilities to do so, I just know that pen, pencil, computer and a desk would not have been my thing or a source of happiness for the last 40 years. Well, a desk right now would feel pretty good because some days in the shop remind me I'm not 40 anymore. Every person is blessed with a gift and for some it falls more into the **passion** category. If you go to your place of employment (I prefer to not call it work) and are unhappy, then it's not where you're suppose to be. Granted, management can make life miserable, but that's a different horse.

Unfortunately for those entering the workforce today, the prospects of working for one company and retiring after 30 yrs is highly unlikely. After you decide this is what you want to do, or you're pretty sure, look at your options. Imagine walking up to a lathe, milling machine or maching center, then look to see how many paths lead away from where you stand. At some point you may walk all the paths because in todays market you must be diverse.

Pay is going to be dependent on location, and industry. I have been working in Pharmaceutical packaging for almost 20 years. I went through an apprenticeship program (Welding, Industrial Electricity, Machine Shop, and Mechanical). Without revealing my exact income, I'm married and have 4 children. I make enough money that my wife is a stay at home mom. There is money to be made as skilled labor. The task is yours to find that money once you have acquired the skills.

'm now selling over $250K a year out of my garage with one part time employee. I get to use 2 lathes and 2 mills among other things. And the margins are very good.
You have 2 lathes and 2 mills in your garage? How big is your garage? Are they cnc lathes? When ever I get good enough I was wanting to get a mill to try and make some parts for my rc cars. Maybe even make a little bit of side cash out of it.

I know this is kinda sensitive but I didn't see anything about it in the rules.
I live in USA, Texas. Today at work I started wondering if this is what I wanted to do for my career.

Pretty much a co-worker asked me if I was going to become a machinist or go to school for something because machinist don't make that much money. I don't really remember what I said but it was very unclear as we got interrupted or something. I was thinking that I might have to go to school to learn some stuff for machining, but what I keep thinking about is if machinist don't make good money?

I know another coworker has a pretty nice truck and has a pretty fast car too as well has guns... I don't know what his wife does but it makes me think he's doing well? I as a general laborer think I get paid pretty well for what I do but I worry about my knees and how much I will have to rebuy tools. (Someone is using calipers from the 80's and they're still in good shape then I'm using some from 2000's that have worn nibs and someone just got some new calipers) Like buying calipers every year.

As I do think I get paid nicely, I don't think its near enough for me to live alone. If I did I'm pretty sure it would be pretty rough... So how much do machinist make? My shop has many cnc machines but does keep manual machines around. Anything like "I used to make XX when I started" or maybe a wage you have succeeded would be helpful to me.

Basically wondering if I want to graduate from general laborer to machinist or to something else. I need to start working on it soon.

Thanks,
Awaqa909
How much does a machinist make, is a very broad question. It depends on many factors. Some of them are:- 1. what class of machinist, 2. what industry, 3. location, 4. how good are you at it.
A more important question is what do you want to do, what makes you happy. how hard are you prepared to work to get the qualifications you need. Do you have the basic education required for further education in the field you require.

I come from a land down under, and our system, while similar to yours does have some subtle differences. The first rule is to do what makes you happy. If you are going to make a career out of it you must enjoy it. At the end of the day job satisfaction is more important than pay scale, but you can have both.

I can honestly say I have loved every job I've ever had, but I've been lucky, I was often at the right place at the right time. When i left high school I din't have very good grades, (my fault entirely). I was lucky I managed to get a job as an apprentice fitter and turner 5 year contract, didn't like it much at first, but by the beginning of the second year I was getting hooked on the fascination of what can be made, I started paying attention, and suddenly realised I liked my job, it still didn't pay much, but what the heck I was enjoying it, having fun learning.

My bosses notice my new enthusiasm and started giving me more interesting and challenging work. Long story short, by the time I finished my apprenticeship the company had sponsored me for the extra year of training to become a toolmaker. over the next couple of years I tried my hand at a few different things always adding experience to my skills set.

A couple of years later looking for adventure I signed onto a ship as a general engine room hand. It didn't take long for them to discover that I was a competent machinist and welder. before long the company was offering to send me to school to become a marine engineer. I accepted and the rest is history.

That is the ultimate job. degree in marine engineering, lathes milling machines and welding equipment to play with. Incredible challenges when things go wrong. When a ship breaks down at sea, you can't call roadside assistance, or go to store and pick up a new part. You, the engineers on board, have to fix it. Weld it, machine a new part, whatever it takes, you have to fix it. Naturally this job pays very well. And has immense job satisfaction.

I really cant add to the fantastic advise given here. All i can add is my own take from 50+ years. It not how much you make but how much you keep and how you spend it. That being said my grandmother told me never wait till you are too old to enjoy the money you made, enjoy it when you are young and can make memories. Just keep enough for your old age. Now my take on life? Money will not buy happiness.......but neither will poverty. Find a middle ground between work and life because I have never heard anyone say on their deathbed that they wished they made more money.

when I retired from the nuclear power plant I was making $50 plus an hour as a maint machinist. bill

:pickaxe:Starvation wage.
What plant, SONGS?

Let me take a different view. You have a job to make money. Your work is not your life and if you think your job will take care of you if something happens to you, You are going to be disappointed.

Not everyone is going to be lucky enough to get a dream job making a ton of money. Decide what is going to be important to you and go from there.

Back