How much do machinist make?

Our tool makers at GM are skilled trades and make around $35 / hour. Our guys in the Lansing Grand River tool room are all 60+ years old. Pretty much a dying breed in this area. Local shops pay in the $20 - $30 / hour range depending on experience. Our guys went through an approximately 8000 hr. apprenticeship program, lots more comprehensive than the local community college 2-year degree.

Bruce

Our Machinists make ~ $43/ hour at the power plant I work at. They all start as repairmen then move on to one of three trades. We have some beautiful machinery but very little machining going on.

Thanks guys, love the input. For now I will work to become a bit more then a general laborer. Then will see how things go. When I was a young teen I had the dream of owning my own internet service provider. I loved computers then and still do, but a lot of that computer stuff is really hard for me. If I ever own my own machine shop, I better have become a good machinist with some funds. Those machines are expensive.

A little life advice here....
Don't ever, and I mean ever, attempt to judge someone's finances by what they drive or what they have. That airplane you see as my avatar was my day job. I once flew some folks from Jackson Hole to Glacier. They were dressed in cargo shorts, dirty t-shirts from hiking and a couple duffel bags. They (husband & wife) got in their Subaru Outback in Glacier and drove away. Our company will not talk to anyone unless their NET worth is $5 million. My guess is that these folks were worth well north of $20+ million NET. So when I see people in my small town that drive a big fancy truck, I just smile. Heck, I used to drive a rusted out GMC truck and I made 4 times the average household income for our are. Those people you know might be financed to the hilt, living paycheck to paycheck.
Money can't buy happiness but it makes a dang good down payment.
Something to think about.... There will be/is a pilot shortage going on. Not sure if it interests you or not. It is a real bear of a career to get into, but the payoff can be huge. If I was still working for my old company (I'm retired) my base would be $183k plus 58% 401k match and free full health coverage for my entire family.
As someone else said, start saving for retirement. $20 a week into a retirement fund. Avoid Edward Jones like the plague. Vanguard is excellent.

Back