How much do machinist make?

awaqa909

Registered
Registered
I know this is kinda sensitive but I didn't see anything about it in the rules.
I live in USA, Texas. Today at work I started wondering if this is what I wanted to do for my career.

Pretty much a co-worker asked me if I was going to become a machinist or go to school for something because machinist don't make that much money. I don't really remember what I said but it was very unclear as we got interrupted or something. I was thinking that I might have to go to school to learn some stuff for machining, but what I keep thinking about is if machinist don't make good money?

I know another coworker has a pretty nice truck and has a pretty fast car too as well has guns... I don't know what his wife does but it makes me think he's doing well? I as a general laborer think I get paid pretty well for what I do but I worry about my knees and how much I will have to rebuy tools. (Someone is using calipers from the 80's and they're still in good shape then I'm using some from 2000's that have worn nibs and someone just got some new calipers) Like buying calipers every year.

As I do think I get paid nicely, I don't think its near enough for me to live alone. If I did I'm pretty sure it would be pretty rough... So how much do machinist make? My shop has many cnc machines but does keep manual machines around. Anything like "I used to make XX when I started" or maybe a wage you have succeeded would be helpful to me.

Basically wondering if I want to graduate from general laborer to machinist or to something else. I need to start working on it soon.

Thanks,
Awaqa909

Basically wondering if I want to graduate from general laborer to machinist or to something else. I need to start working on it soon.

Yes - make the jump. Basically, the premise to never stop learning, never stop challenging yourself. Don't worry too much about the money. Try to work towards enjoying what you do a little more every day and learn something every day.

If you can get a machining ticket - great. Do you have good people to learn from? If you do, learn as much as you can. Don't be afraid to change jobs. Going to school, changing jobs etc. is easier when you are younger. Then get yourself another ticket (welder, mechanical technologist, engineer - whatever turns your crank or whatever opportunities come along.

I started out as a HD mechanic, after a few years went back to school for Mechanical tech, worked a few years, then full on engineering - sure lots of people make more $$ that I have, but I'm making enough and enjoying what I do. Still learning something new most days.

Well, not much, around here. Upper teens to low 20s per hour. I am in NW Indiana, and I make considerably more than that per hour. I work as a machinist / millwright in the steel industry. Some days I work on machines, but today we were changing segments one of our continuous caster lines. It's a union job, and it sucks at times, like on HSM days.

Tuesday I was in a 3' x 5' x 6' deep hole welding a new boss in, kneeling in 4" of grease. You can make more money doing this type of work vs a working in a clean shop. Pay will change in other parts of the country.

Jason

$16-25/hr. depends on experience, the nature of the work, complexity of equipment and scope of the job description. Tool makers with proven, many decades of experience working for a company make more than $25/hr. You said something interesting...can't afford to live on my own. This is true for a lot of people just starting out or haven't upgraded their skills for many years. Now, think if you had a ton of college debt. You need to take any opportunity to better your ability to earn.

Many employers will send you to community colleges that offer the classes for free or even pay your tuition. It takes many years, but you can work and get your degree - which increases your earning power. Learn as much as you can and demonstrate that you will work hard in exchange for learning and applying it to the job whether that is as a laborer, machinist, supervisor or manager - you can go as far as you can imagine. Cooperate with the broader team and management to improve yourself, the team and the company, and you will do well for yourself no matter the position.

Awaqa909, I don't know how much machinists make so I have no business in this thread. However, your question reminded me of a similar question my son once asked me and I wanted to give you a paraphrased version of my answer to him.

Ask yourself who you are and what truly makes you happy.

The answer should be independent of what anyone else thinks or wants from or for you. The answer is not dependent on what you know or have been exposed to; because you are a laborer in a shop doesn't mean your career will be in a shop. All you should consider is what YOU feel or think.

You should also have some idea of what your capabilities are. Many colleges have test batteries that will give you an idea of what your aptitudes are and I'm sure you can find independent companies that will do the same thing. You are looking for your strong points and weak points so you can realistically see what is open to you. However, if you really want to do something, don't let test results stop you. Persistence and determination will get you more places than anything else.

Once you figure out what you really like, look around for careers or jobs that primarily deal with that. For example, if you're the kind of person that enjoys helping people then look into the healthcare field, perhaps as a doctor, nurse, physical therapist or whatever. If you like animals, look into Veterinary work. If you enjoy machines then machining, engineering and so on open up for you. You get the idea.

If you can figure out what makes you happy and find a career that revolves around your thing then work is not work and the money will follow. Go do what your abilities and interests have in store for you. If that is machine work then fine, but it might be something totally different and you won't know until you explore yourself.

Start now, create a plan for your life and then go and get it.

My son loves working with people. He also loves space and the idea of space travel. He worked his ass off but he now works for NASA. And he is happy. And he makes a decent living at it.

It is said that if you love what you do, you will never work another day in your life. Nothing wrong with being a machinist, depending on what you are doing and your skill level the pay could be $12 to $40 or more. But as @mikey said, you have to ask yourself what you really want to do with your life. I took a lot of different jobs over the years and learned all I could from all of them and developed a wide set of skills. My focus was in the industrial trades and mechanics, but that is what I like to do.

You may want to take a completely different track and have a different goal, and you don't have to make a life career decision today. Try being a machinist and if you don't like it then try something else. Your real goal should be to do something that you really want to do, then work towards that goal. The goal in life is not to acquire stuff, it is really to be happy and fulfilled.

Most of the machinists around here, a lot anyway, work at Boeing. With longvity, senior people on the line can make $60 to $100k annually. Don't know what they start at... maybe $16 to $20. But entry level salary goes up with time and machine experience, and your interest in accepting responsibility for more complex work.

Ahaha. I figure my rate is down around $0.75 /hr sometimes for some of the one off parts I make in my one man shop.

Glenn

Awaqa909. there are some very smart people who have responded to your request, read these often till you understand what is being said. I was 45 with a 20 yr history at one company before I got fed up with the rat race and started my own business, within 3 years I was making more than what I left, 100% happier, no longer surviving on extra strength Tylenol. Greed will lead you down the wrong path, enjoy whatever you like. Invest with Scottrade or one of the equivalent early in life, avoid Edward Jones as there is one on every corner, Avoid Life Insurance you'll lose in the end. Buy with the cash in your wallet or do without till you can. Find a woman 10 years younger than you and they age faster than men, preferable one from pioneer stock. Throw the TV and playstation on the dump, neither will ever increase your knowledge (talk radio has never fixed anything). I wonder now crooked is the medicare system when I have a 55 gallon barrel full of junk mail and 3-5 phone call a week wanting me to sign up for a supplement policy. I could go on and on but you get my drift. Hope this gives you something the ponder. I WISH YOU GOOD LUCK IN YOU FUTURE.

I know another coworker has a pretty nice truck and has a pretty fast car too as well has guns... I don't know what his wife does but it makes me think he's doing well?

Only his bank manager knows for sure.
Its better to live your life doing something you enjoy and have others with a flashy car, jazzy wife, big house and large loan payments wish they were as happy as you.

Back