How important is tuning an RPC?

Yea test L1 to L2 L1 to L3 and L2 to L3. Mind you mine are all built with the generated leg being L3. The L1 to L2 reading is always gonna be the line voltage and it's not going to vary because it would require the voltage from the pole transformer to change. So the two that you need to balance or 'tune' is those two legs to the generated leg.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

With what Keith is saying, looking at the "phaseconverter-usa" unit, L1= A, L2= B, L3= C. And follow the sequence Keith mentioned checking voltages. As Keith said L3 or C is the generated leg and that voltage is the "wild" leg as some call it. And make sure it doesn't get connected to any other circuit than T3 on the motor. And don't check it against a neutral or ground, it will not give you a constant reading of any value to you, and can be dangerous to you if not careful. Ken

Mike is right on buying parts as opposed to buying a completed cabinet if you are gonna buy it all new.
That being said , I source my parts from various places including ebay. Start caps I would buy new unless you get a killer deal on them, like a buck or two each. They have more of a chance of being bad than run caps.

If you are gonna get serious about it, buy a meter with a capacitor checker function in it. I take mine with me when I buy used caps so I can check them. Anything over a 10% variance in the labeled value and they are probably no good.

Back