How I got my Monarch CK 12 in my walk in basement

Jeff in Pa

Active User
Registered
I got my Monarch in Sept and here's the write up I did on it.

No pics of loading, I forgot my camera
Here's the lathe at home on my former neighbors dual axle trailer
DCP_6268-1.jpg
Put the rollers ( borrowed from work ) under the 4x4s ( lag bolted to the frame) and rolled it back to the ramps. Took the front rollers off and used my 3 ton floor jack to keep the 4x4s about a 1/4" off the ramps.
Neighbor John on the left and neighbor Vic on the right
DCP_6269-1.jpg
DCP_6270-1.jpg
DCP_6271-1.jpg
Used the come a long to slowly lower the lathe down the ramp. When the back rollers reached the ramp, 1-1/2" pipe (four pieces) were used until the front reached the ground. Then the rollers went on the front and the pipes were used in the back.
Finally got it in place ( see it on the left side where I removed a wall to get it in? )
DCP_6272-1.jpg
DCP_6273-1.jpg
First cut, facing an exhaust spigot for a kawasaki triple after welding to make sure it's flat. The lathe works great :cool:
DCP_6274-1.jpg

DCP_6275-1.jpg

DCP_6268-1.jpg

DCP_6269-1.jpg

DCP_6270-1.jpg

DCP_6271-1.jpg

DCP_6272-1.jpg

DCP_6273-1.jpg

DCP_6274-1.jpg

DCP_6275-1.jpg

That's a beautiful lathe. I learned on a Monarch and I've never worked on anything better since. They are just beautiful machines.

What a cool looking lathe, I can't even imagine moving something like that in one piece!
On another note: 2 strokes forever!

Jeff in Pa: I've got a Monarch Model K 13x30. Hope your'se preforms as flawlessly as mine. What does the CK refer to? Happy turning. Roger

Nice lathe. I have a CK too. Glad you got yours moved safely. They are very top heavy, mine had some broken handles from it falling over in a previous move.

Jim

What a cool looking lathe, I can't even imagine moving something like that in one piece!
On another note: 2 strokes forever!

We spent two hours getting it off the trailer and moved into place. Personal safety was priority number one and a close second was getting the lathe in safely.

I have a '73 Kawasaki H1 500 that under restoration right now and a '74 H1 500 that's next in line. Had both of them since the early 80s

Jeff in Pa: I've got a Monarch Model K 13x30. Hope your'se preforms as flawlessly as mine. What does the CK refer to? Happy turning. Roger

Not sure what the CK stands for but it was built in 1942

Nice lathe. I have a CK too. Glad you got yours moved safely. They are very top heavy, mine had some broken handles from it falling over in a previous move.

Jim

It's almost 2 tons of lathe.

I cannot believe you got that monster off the trailer and in your garage all in 1 piece. Holy crap. LOL! <shaking head> I'd be sweating bullets worrying about the wood breaking and her tipping over....but that's usually the luck I have. :p Glad to see she's working fine. She's a beauty. Good luck with her. :thumbzup:

nice work, i like the use of the 4x's!

The 4x4's made it real easy to get on the trailer too. I purchased it from a business who had a fork truck. The fork truck brought it out and we put jack stands under the back of the trailer and on the tail stock end of the 4x4's.

Then the fork truck "re picked" the lathe and pushed it onto the trailer until proper balance/tongue weight was acheived.

Back