How extract a broken #49 drill bit in Aluminum

First rule about dealing with broken drills (and taps): Be really careful not to break them in the first place. It often a long fight trying to get them out, and work is damaged or ruined, with much time lost. A lot less time is required to carefully study the best way to drill or tap the hole you have in front of you, to really understand how to make a good hole or thread in the material you are working with, than to try to fix the much bigger problem after the tool is broken off in the work. The hurrieder you go, the behinder you get -- in my experience...

I've also read good things about the Omega Drill for drilling out broken taps. May also work for broken drills. I've never used one. A straight flute carbide drill seems like a good choice. You would need a very rigid set up on a mill.
T3_Omegadrill_-_4_Abbrev_Instructions.jpg

Haven't broken a drill or tap in a long while but I know how the peck drilling fatigue sets in and you start taking deeper pecks, especially difficult on
powerful machines that don't give much sensory feedback- Then SNAP! oh cr*p
Mark S.

this is your solultion!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Can YOU share what the part is that has the broken bits in it that you are trying to save? Doing so will give us a better idea on how to deal with it. Im thinking if you could use a larger left-turn cut drill bit to clear the hole by making the hole bigger thus giving you better access to the broken bits and then you can plug the hole by pressing in some aluminum rod as described above would probably be the best current option if that is an option!

The Omega drills are # 4 on a list a good solutions., EDM being #1 and Walton tap removers almost useless.*( according to an expert).
Luckily, I've never broken off a tap or drill in an important part. I did break a few cheap import 1/8" bits from Home Depot at work.
Using a correct chuck size to the drill size, I feel, is key. Albrecht!

Back