How do you use this?

Finster

Registered
Registered
I've never used one of these. Is it just an analog indicator? How is it used and are they at all accurate?
s-l1600.jpg

image.jpg Universal test indicator, forerunner of the DTI. Same function as DTI.
Dave

Thanks. It's for sale on E-bay and I was thinking about it more for my collection than practical use but I may wait for one in better shape.

I have been very tempted to buy one of those . I'm really into the vintage stuff . To answer your question , you would use it just like a regular test indicator I think it would be good for at least .001 . I wonder what years those were first used ?

I have been very tempted to buy one of those . I'm really into the vintage stuff . To answer your question , you would use it just like a regular test indicator I think it would be good for at least .001 . I wonder what years those were first used ?
I wouldn't think it would be super accurate but who knows. Dials have been around a very long time so I just wonder what the age would be? Maybe these are still made by someone but I doubt it. I've never seen one which is why I was asking. I'm thinking maybe early 1900's ? WWI era maybe?

Last edited:
This post has renewed my interest in these indicators . I found some history but no actual date . This first link is for a dial test so the lever type I would think prior to or around , 1883 http://www.tresnainstrument.com/history_of_dial_indicators.html
and here is a pic of one working but again no date . pic is about 3/4 down .https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indicator_(distance_amplifying_instrument)
Yea, I saw the same thing when I was looking. I may buy the one on E-bay just for kicks if it doesn't get to expensive. It would be kind of neat to have and show.

I've never used one of these. Is it just an analog indicator? How is it used and are they at all accurate?
View attachment 231219
There is actually two indicators in the box. You use them just as they are, orienting them so gravity keeps the follower against the work. I do not believe the type you have uses springs.

I was given one similar to those when I was first starting out, a couple of months later it was replaced with a B&S and I returned it to the donor. It was as accurate as I was in those days.

Back