How Do You Store Your Open End Wrenches?

I pulled on wrenches for a living. I ended up using three drawers based on head sizes., one for small imperial sizes < 3/4" , one for larger imperial, and metric. Between the metric and imperial you could cover the Whitworth. Older Japanese machinery are Whitworth, BTW. My favourites are deep offset box ends. I was taught to use a box end to loosen, then the use the open end of the common Proto patterned combination as it was quicker. Those racks look good, but take of precious drawer space.

Proto, I have a bunch of those, I also liked the Proto Challenger line of wrenches. I also like to use the box to break them loose, Then you also have the set of thin wrenches to get into those real tight spots and on the thin double nuts. And because you often had to hold both a bolt and do the nut you had two sets of the various wrenches, Thus the racks would take a lot of drawer space. Of course we were always given just a small area for our tools, but now days my Son in Law has a tools box that would make 3 of mine and has less than half the tools in it and thinks it is full. of course he is using things like the racks for wrenches and sockets.

I put the tools I'm going to use on a line of round magnets out of microwaves.they do not fall off.

I no longer do any wrenching. However, each tool, saws, grinders, lathes, etc has appropriate wrenches next to it. For that reason most all of my wrench sets are incomplete. I hate running to a tool box for the proper wrench. My lathes and mills are in the basement and my woodworking tools, table saw, lathe, sanders, etc are in the garage. At 79 if I need automotive work I go to my mechanic or son-in-law. Lots of nice ideas here though.

Back