How Do You Store Your Open End Wrenches?

I use the Snap-On strips in tool drawer. The angle makes it very easy to grab the spanner you need. (easier than the Mac tool-holder but Mac is great 'on-site'/ mobile because they hold tools tight) The adhesive on Snap-On fails after about 12~14 yrs (much sooner if you use solvent cleaners)
Replace it with 3M double sided tape

I finally graduated from from the open end wrenches in a 5 gallon plastic pail, to a couple drawers in a isolated tool box. The first picture is fractional wrenches, the second picture is metric wrenches with open end Whitworth wrenches in the orange bag.

Even as a young lad, I never like open end wrenches, preferring combination or boxend wrenches, so open end wrenches are like second (maybe third) class citizens or a necessary evil in the tool box. For some reason, they just seem to multiply in the shop.

I. Also have a couple of drawers, with butchered wrenches, handle or head bent to specific angle, for a certain job or cut apart and rewelded back together, to form the necessary tool for the job, like a motor mount wrench for a Ford Taurus.

oew wrenches 001x.jpg oew wrenches 004x.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have them in drawers:
Labeled Small: <=⅝" (including a box for ignition wrenches); Medium: >⅝" - 1";Large > 1"; and Metric (All).
Sockets similar: 1", ¾", ½", ⅜", ¼", and metric (All)

Last edited:
I finally graduated from from the open end wrenches in a 5 gallon plastic pail, to a couple drawers in a isolated tool box. The first picture is fractional wrenches, the second picture is metric wrenches with open end Whitworth wrenches in the orange bag.

Even as a young lad, I never like open end wrenches, preferring combination or boxend wrenches, so open end wrenches are like second (maybe third) class citizens or a necessary evil in the tool box. For some reason, they just seem to multiply in the shop.

I. Also have a couple of drawers, with butchered wrenches, handle or head bent to specific angle, for a certain job or cut apart and rewelded back together, to form the necessary tool for the job, like a motor mount wrench for a Ford Taurus.

View attachment 243261 View attachment 243262

Had same issues when I was a kid, double end 'ring' spanners were favorite with combinations for back-up when doing nut and bolt stuff.
I only have a couple of those FACOM 'bent' socket things. Very very handy for some specific jobs. I like them because you can get a screwdriver down 'short' end when doing screw adjusters with locknuts (used on lot of motorcycles for valve adjustment and clutch adjustment) When I worked on construction equipment I also had to do a lot of tool modifications sometimes, particularly 'on site' repairs. Ingersol Rand vibratory rollers had a few very weird part placements, The compressors were a little easier to work on (when you got over 110SCFM 'mini's' )

I have one drawer for Standard and one for metric, and another drawer for special and custom made stuff.
I have a bunch of the combo wrenches on what look like steel shower curtain hangers, that hang on the wall, Both standard and metrics, That keeps them in order etc.

I try to avoid double ended open end wrenches. The few that I have are in a drawer and rarely used. The rest (single box end minimum) are hung on pegboard.

I store mine just like others commonly do. I don't like to fumble around looking for the size I need.

20171003_191116.jpg
20171003_191133.jpg

OK, I guess I just have to many sets of wrenches etc. I could not fit all mine in a drawer in one of those setups. It would take 3 or 4 drawers to hold them.
Of course I should be going to tool Hoarders Anonymous also.

Back