• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

How Do You Store Your Open End Wrenches?

crazypj

I use the Snap-On strips in tool drawer. The angle makes it very easy to grab the spanner you need. (easier than the Mac tool-holder but Mac is great 'on-site'/ mobile because they hold tools tight) The adhesive on Snap-On fails after about 12~14 yrs (much sooner if you use solvent cleaners)
Replace it with 3M double sided tape

Buffalo20

I finally graduated from from the open end wrenches in a 5 gallon plastic pail, to a couple drawers in a isolated tool box. The first picture is fractional wrenches, the second picture is metric wrenches with open end Whitworth wrenches in the orange bag.

Even as a young lad, I never like open end wrenches, preferring combination or boxend wrenches, so open end wrenches are like second (maybe third) class citizens or a necessary evil in the tool box. For some reason, they just seem to multiply in the shop.

I. Also have a couple of drawers, with butchered wrenches, handle or head bent to specific angle, for a certain job or cut apart and rewelded back together, to form the necessary tool for the job, like a motor mount wrench for a Ford Taurus.

oew wrenches 001x.jpg oew wrenches 004x.jpg

Last edited:

gwade

I have them in drawers:
Labeled Small: <=⅝" (including a box for ignition wrenches); Medium: >⅝" - 1";Large > 1"; and Metric (All).
Sockets similar: 1", ¾", ½", ⅜", ¼", and metric (All)

Last edited:

crazypj

I finally graduated from from the open end wrenches in a 5 gallon plastic pail, to a couple drawers in a isolated tool box. The first picture is fractional wrenches, the second picture is metric wrenches with open end Whitworth wrenches in the orange bag.

Even as a young lad, I never like open end wrenches, preferring combination or boxend wrenches, so open end wrenches are like second (maybe third) class citizens or a necessary evil in the tool box. For some reason, they just seem to multiply in the shop.

I. Also have a couple of drawers, with butchered wrenches, handle or head bent to specific angle, for a certain job or cut apart and rewelded back together, to form the necessary tool for the job, like a motor mount wrench for a Ford Taurus.

View attachment 243261 View attachment 243262
Had same issues when I was a kid, double end 'ring' spanners were favorite with combinations for back-up when doing nut and bolt stuff.
I only have a couple of those FACOM 'bent' socket things. Very very handy for some specific jobs. I like them because you can get a screwdriver down 'short' end when doing screw adjusters with locknuts (used on lot of motorcycles for valve adjustment and clutch adjustment) When I worked on construction equipment I also had to do a lot of tool modifications sometimes, particularly 'on site' repairs. Ingersol Rand vibratory rollers had a few very weird part placements, The compressors were a little easier to work on (when you got over 110SCFM 'mini's' )

kvt

Active User
I have one drawer for Standard and one for metric, and another drawer for special and custom made stuff.
I have a bunch of the combo wrenches on what look like steel shower curtain hangers, that hang on the wall, Both standard and metrics, That keeps them in order etc.

rzbill

The cheapest thing in an airplane is the pilot.
I try to avoid double ended open end wrenches. The few that I have are in a drawer and rarely used. The rest (single box end minimum) are hung on pegboard.

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Supporter-Premium
I store mine just like others commonly do. I don't like to fumble around looking for the size I need.

20171003_191116.jpg
20171003_191133.jpg

kvt

Active User
OK, I guess I just have to many sets of wrenches etc. I could not fit all mine in a drawer in one of those setups. It would take 3 or 4 drawers to hold them.
Of course I should be going to tool Hoarders Anonymous also.

Downwindtracker2

Active User
I pulled on wrenches for a living. I ended up using three drawers based on head sizes., one for small imperial sizes < 3/4" , one for larger imperial, and metric. Between the metric and imperial you could cover the Whitworth. Older Japanese machinery are Whitworth, BTW. My favourites are deep offset box ends. I was taught to use a box end to loosen, then the use the open end of the common Proto patterned combination as it was quicker. Those racks look good, but take of precious drawer space.

kvt

Active User
Proto, I have a bunch of those, I also liked the Proto Challenger line of wrenches. I also like to use the box to break them loose, Then you also have the set of thin wrenches to get into those real tight spots and on the thin double nuts. And because you often had to hold both a bolt and do the nut you had two sets of the various wrenches, Thus the racks would take a lot of drawer space. Of course we were always given just a small area for our tools, but now days my Son in Law has a tools box that would make 3 of mine and has less than half the tools in it and thinks it is full. of course he is using things like the racks for wrenches and sockets.

Rockytime

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium
I no longer do any wrenching. However, each tool, saws, grinders, lathes, etc has appropriate wrenches next to it. For that reason most all of my wrench sets are incomplete. I hate running to a tool box for the proper wrench. My lathes and mills are in the basement and my woodworking tools, table saw, lathe, sanders, etc are in the garage. At 79 if I need automotive work I go to my mechanic or son-in-law. Lots of nice ideas here though.