How do you lift big stuff in your shop?

i use a lot of different methods of moving heavy things, it kinda depends what mood i'm in.:thinking:10 ton PortaPowernumerous bottle jacks from 4 to 20 tonsVintage Rail Road Jack 15 tonWooden 4x4 Gantry with 1/2 Ton Chain Hoist Wooden 4x4 Gantry with 4 ton Come along)
Mike- I've been thinking of building a mobile hoist out of either wood, pipe or square metal tubing. I'd like it to be able to breakdown. Do you have any photos of yours?ThanksChristian

Have any of you built a frame and attached wheeled boat trailer jacks? Seems like you could make a pretty low profile device with these.

Have any of you built a frame and attached wheeled boat trailer jacks? Seems like you could make a pretty low profile device with these.
Something like this? I've had these on my list of things to make but never got that far yet.

PB228808w.jpg

I know what your going to say about safety I try extra hard at that and it is all I have for loading and unloading machines.

Ones in the shop I use pipes to move machines into place. I moved a 5000# mill with it. It s doesn't get used much anymore.

Paul

Forklift.JPG

Can't help here. My machines were all small enough to be taken apart and dollied thru the house and down the stairs by 3 guys at most. The words "Very Carefully" come to mind though.

"Billy G"

Something like this? I've had these on my list of things to make but never got that far yet.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Just enough to get a machine up and moving. Also easy to store. A couple trailer jacks will run $40 plus some angle iron and square tubular steel.

Last edited:
JP here are some of the ways I lift loads in my shop.

During shop construction, I placed a section of 4.5" heavy wall pipe into a concrete footing for a Jib crane. I cut three collars of pipe that would just slip over the OD of this pipe. After consturction the top of the pipe was connected to a 6x6 cross beam for rigidity. I then welded a section of 4" I beam to one of the collars so it would rotate. I raised the beam to the desired height and then welded a second collar underneath to maintain that height. I have a trolly and a 1/2 ton chain fall which works really nice. I can rotate the jib about 270 deg. before it hits a shop wall.

Also during shop construction, I installed a 6" I-beam the length of the main bay for a mono-rail. I have two 1 ton chain falls on trollys which have been used simultaneously on projects numerous times. this works great and the jib will rotate under this mono-rail for load transfers.

Several years ago I swapped some work for the 2-post auto lift (9000 lbs) in the picture and use it occasionally.

Also I picked up a rolling Gantry a couple of years ago. It has 6" heavy caster wheels and a trolly with a 1/2 ton chain fall as well. This allows me the ability to transfer a load from the mono-rail to the top of my welding table without lifting!

These additions are by far the best things I could of added to the shop to aid in everyday work. Some projects are pretty heavy and I could not do them without the lifting devices.

David

shop lifts 004.jpg shop lifts 003.jpg shop lifts 006.jpg shop crane 003.jpg shop crane 001.jpg

When I have a heavy lifting job, first I roll up my sleeves 1/4 of the way, and apply my own enormous, brute strength.

If that doesn't work, I ask my girlfriend to do it.

Bernie

Back