How do you lift big stuff in your shop?

jpfabricator

Active User
Registered
As the title askes, what kind of mechanical assistance do you use in your shop to lift the "big stuff"? if its a shop made device please provide pictures.

all i have in the shop is 5 ton chain fall over the pit. Move engines maybe up to 800 cherry picker moved mill around with backhoe.

I know the backhoe dont count but we machine big stuff also have out side the 2 ton jib 15' high, 15' swing on trolleys. Thats sweet
pluck something from a truck swing it to the door apron, put item on dolly or cherrypicker. That was a new take me from next door
plant.

650 Ford.JPG

Define "big". If it's an accessory that I cannot lift, I don't buy it. Big tools (lathe, mill, etc) that are being installed are lifted with an engine hoist.

Bill

I have one of those hydraulic tables that makes moving things easier.

I got tired of lifting my 4 jaw chuck out at arms length so I use rope and a couple of pulleys now.

Gary

I recently got a mill and lathe and since UPS would only deliver them to the back of my pickup I had to figure out a way to get them out of the truck. I went with a 1-ton chain hoist from Harbor Freight and built a lift frame out of 2x lumber:
2a77564d-7c05-4f9c-bfd9-df44fd81e95d_zps7d2ef615.jpg

It worked well, no signs of anything being over-stressed. It's made so the top beam can be removed so it can break-down and take up a bit less space when stored. The only thing I would have done differently, is built it about 2ft higher to fit under the 10' door just to the left (instead of the 8' door I used). There was just *barely* enough height to get the mill lifted enough to pull the truck out from underneath it.

2a77564d-7c05-4f9c-bfd9-df44fd81e95d_zps7d2ef615.jpg

i use the backhoe part of my kubota bx24, or the front end loader. depending on how heavy and what i need to do to move it into position

I use my cherry picker for everything right now but I'm going
to suspend a trolley above the mill and lathe which
are right next to each other .

Bob

P1020300 (Medium).JPG P1020321 (Medium).JPG

It depends on where its at and where it has to go. For stuff that's on a trailer or truck and just needs to be lifted off I use this gantry.

DSCF2023.JPG

Then they get moved with the skid steer.

DSCF2022.JPG

Once something is in the shop I can lift it with either a electric hoist or put the chain hoist from the gantry on a I-beam mounted trolley.

DSCF2024.JPGDSCF2025.JPG

Heavy parts and accessories for the mill get lifted with a Sky Hook jib crane.

DSCF2026.JPG

Machines get lifted and placed on machine skates to be rolled into location.

DSCF2027.JPG

DSCF2023.JPG DSCF2022.JPG DSCF2024.JPG DSCF2025.JPG DSCF2026.JPG DSCF2027.JPG

... With a home-made gantry. I use furniture dollies or sometimes metal pipes to roll things across the floor then, do the lifting with a gantry. Slow process that wouldn't fly for a pro-rigger but its cheap and brick-house reliable.

Ray

OutWithOld.jpg

OutWithOld.jpg

Back