How Do I ?

speedre9

Active User
Registered
Been wanting to build a ultra small drill press since forever. The only thing I don't know about is how to estimate how much return spring force to put into it. I plan on using a sewing machine motor to drive it
and just a simple slider to lift the head and chuck. Anybody know about springs?

I normally head to the hardware store, spring department. And just play with the springs until I find the one that feels right, sometimes I buy a few and try them out. Use the one that works and put the rest in the spring box on the shelf so you have some for the next project.;)

Also, there really is no way to recommend a spring without seeing your design.

Two old drill presses I'm using in the Propeller Shop came with a number of rubber bands replacing the (as sold) springs. It's surprising how good they are, and if/when one breaks, maybe you need to replace it, maybe not. They will pull the drill out of the work, but won't slam the spindle at the up-stop.

Lee Springs is the last word in springs. It was my go-to when I was doing spring design. They have the largest range of springs that I have run across. There is enough information in their specifications to thoroughly characterize any of their springs. Back when I was doing design, I had set up a spreadsheet to give me the force at any given displacement for their springs.
They have a fairly steep price/volume curve but with the information given, you can find a substitute or wind your own springs. They also have great CAD models.
http://www.leespring.com/

Back