How do I rewire or convert a 115volt to 230 on Emerson 1HP motor single phase

This is a picture (attached) of a Emerson 2hp motor and the terminals are the same as the motor I have. The 230 hookup (right side in picture) is what I have now and it is running on 115 volts????. Would this same hookup run with 230 volts?

Should the 115 volt be hooked up like the diagram on the left (115volt)??

I got 3 of these at a auction for $5 each but there is no information other than Emerson. With these was a Dayton 1hp, single phase, two capacitor, 115/230 ballbearing enclosed with a 56 frame but 3450 rmp vs 1725. I used a tachometer to determine the rpm. Looks the same type of motor except for RPM. They company removed the labels on the Emerson and the diagram from the Dayton.

emerson diagram.jpg

Give it a shot. For 5 bucks really nothing to loose.

A 3450 rpm (2 pole) motor will be somewhat smaller physically than a 1725 rpm (4 pole) of the same horsepower.

It worked.. The brown wire is not used on 230 volt but is used on 115 volt.

I hooked up a A. W. Sperry Rand snap on amp meter. I set the range to 20a and got 5.0.

How many watts would that be?

But a lot of that 5 Amperes is inductive and doesn't represent real power. A Kill-a-Watt would probably tell you how much (I think it can read power and power factor, the same thing expressed differently). But unless the motor is under load, it only draws enough power to overcome bearing friction, windage, copper and iron losses.

Back