How do I rewire or convert a 115volt to 230 on Emerson 1HP motor single phase

Johndrew

Registered
Registered
I have an enclosed Emerison 1hp motor single phase, which is reversable. It has two capacitors on the top but no diagram. Attached is a diagram of the terminal plate I drew.

1. POWER ( White power comes in on terminal 1 and black power comes in on terminal 4)
2. Terminal 2 is empty

3. Red is on terminal 7
4. Black and white are on terminal 3
(Exchange the red and black, to make the motor reverse)

5. Terminal 5 is empty and near the red wire mentioned below
6. There is a red motor wire which does not attach when on 115 volt

How do I convert it to run on 230 volts? There is no label on the motor

motor dia.JPG

Is there a part number on the motor anywhere?

Is there a part number on the motor anywhere?

Nothing on it but Emerson Economiser and a bad bar code. I used a tach to determine the RPM and a amp meter draw and the frame size, capacitors and shaft size to estimate the HP. I went to www.usmotors.com and looked for a dual voltage single phase but did find one with the correct number of wires.

Not all motors are dual voltage. The dual voltage motors change the running coils from parallel for 110 to series for 220. You can check the windings with a good ohm tester. The running coils are the same resistance and the starting coil will be significantly different. The starting coil is 110 volt and is connected to the center between the two running coils. It's connection is not changed. Only the running coils are.

But based upon your diagram I believe you are out of luck. Check to see if there is any connection on 2 & 5 at all. A motor shop can answer this question very quickly.

1. There are no wires on terminal 2
2, None on Terminal 5

Looking at the photo, the brown motor wire appears to be designed to attached to terminal 5 because of the length and location near terminal 5

The black and red reverse the direction.

To test the ohms, what wires should I connect to?

Power Black
Power White

Red
Back
White
Brown

Looking deeper inside (see attached) motor diagram.JPG I see a Orange, red, black, white, and yellow wires. Would this indicate a 230volt motor?

motor color.jpg motor diagram.JPG

I dont believe that motor is dual voltage capable either - I had a couple, that, if memory serves me, had that wiring set-up and they wernt dual voltage. That type of mount is - generally - used in light duty applications such as fans and wouldnt have dual capibility.

In my motor book and doing a search as well, usually dual voltage motors have 6 wires vs 4/5 wires single voltage.

You can also check the motor case for stamped numbers. The mounting is light duty as stated by Pacer.

I'd be surprised if that is more than 1/2HP. But then, I've been surprised before. Is there a note on the motor to reverse the two wires to reverse rotation, or did you find that out by experiment?

You may have to take it apart to find out where those extra wires go. That's not difficult; you just need to match-mark the end bells and stator so you can get it back together properly.

Based on USMotor site the Brown wire is likely for thermoprotection. Plug the motor in and check the draw. 750 watts equals 1 hp.

I think you'd need to load it on a dynamometer to maybe 1725 RPM to determine horsepower from the current draw. Size and weight compared to similar motors is probably close enough.

Back