How do I mount a 4 jaw wood chuck on a 7x12?

That chuck is for a threaded spindle. Call LMS and see if thay have an adaptor.

You da man, so that replaces the entire spindle and the new chuck screws on??? And not stupid expensive.

You da man, so that replaces the entire spindle and the new chuck screws on??? And not stupid expensive.

No that fits inside of your spindle wich should be MT3 taper. Just remove your chuck and slid it in till it gets tight then tap it with a sovt mallet. You screw the chuck on the end and leav it there. just like your tail stock.

No that fits inside of your spindle wich should be MT3 taper. Just remove your chuck and slid it in till it gets tight then tap it with a sovt mallet. You screw the chuck on the end and leav it there. just like your tail stock.

Glad you guys are here, stupid n00b questions. I looked all over the internet various search parameters spent close to a day. I did not find my answer, even called LMS and they said they did not have what I needed. Finally posted here.

If you are just starting out, let me explain a bit extra. The drawbar is important. It is a bolt that goes through the spindle and locks the MT3 adapter in place. Turning wood will have a lot of interrupted cuts and the shocks of the impacts will loosen the arbor and make it unseat. A chuck coming loose will have a lot of energy and do bad things to the lathe, operator, or anything in the vicinity. It is very high on the bad things list.

Also since you are using a 7x lathe, the plastic gears in the spindle can shatter from these impacts. I lost a gear that way myself. On the positive side, you will learn a lot about how the spindle is put together. Take light cuts only.

If you are just starting out, let me explain a bit extra. The drawbar is important. It is a bolt that goes through the spindle and locks the MT3 adapter in place. Turning wood will have a lot of interrupted cuts and the shocks of the impacts will loosen the arbor and make it unseat. A chuck coming loose will have a lot of energy and do bad things to the lathe, operator, or anything in the vicinity. It is very high on the bad things list.

Also since you are using a 7x lathe, the plastic gears in the spindle can shatter from these impacts. I lost a gear that way myself. On the positive side, you will learn a lot about how the spindle is put together. Take light cuts only.

Got it, chuck coming loose at high rpm is no bueno. Its the little things that can bite ya. And of course I did not know about the drawbar but do now. I've looked at the metal gear replacements but they are not cheap.

Back