How Do I Make This Part?

David,

The disconnect switch is for a 24 volt control circuit so I doubt that electrocution will be a threat.

But thanks for throwing in a warning flag.

Harvey

If 24V AC, it can kill, and it will definitely hurt. The heart circuitry does very poorly with stray ac current. So, if you are planning on using this while standing in a shallow tropical bay overlooking the breakers on the reef, I would recommend a plastic handle. Not that I have done this. Oh....

That was meant as a joke. Sorry. I got a hell of shock from a 24V AC motor I was using to help me sample in a mangrove. I have a feeling it was more than 24V!

Harvey, from the pictures it looks like it is an 8 spline piece with two splines combined to make the one large spline/keyway. Not sure if you have a dividing head or rotary table but you could use one of them to make what is needed to broach the splines. You could broach all 8 splines and then remove the section between two of the splines to make your one large one. There a couple of thoughts I have on this, but have to leave right now. I'll get back and try explain a little better later tonight.

That was meant as a joke. Sorry. I got a hell of shock from a 24V AC motor I was using to help me sample in a mangrove. I have a feeling it was more than 24V!
Yes, if you interrupt the current through a big inductor such as the armature of a motor you can get a pretty good high voltage spike.

Drom68,

If you'll take a close look at the picture, you'll see that an evenly-spaced 8-spline pattern won't work. An 8-spline layout will have four pairs of splines with mirror images on their opposite sides. On my splined shaft, no two splines are opposite each other. You has a good thought and I appreciate your input.

Harvey

Posted by Drom68
"Harvey, from the pictures it looks like it is an 8 spline piece with two splines combined to make the one large spline/keyway. Not sure if you have a dividing head or rotary table but you could use one of them to make what is needed to broach the splines. You could broach all 8 splines and then remove the section between two of the splines to make your one large one."

Drom,
An evenly-spaced 8-spline pattern won't work. Each spline in an even-numbered pattern will have another spline exactly across from it on the other side of the circle. If you'll take a close look at the picture, you'll see that on my splined shaft, no two splines are opposite each other. You had a good thought though and I appreciate your input.

Harvey

Last edited:
Posted by John Hasler
"Yes, if you interrupt the current through a big inductor such as the armature of a motor you can get a pretty good high voltage spike."

John,
My 24VAC is fused at 5A. It's control voltage to activate a couple of remote relays and a panel lamp. There are no motors or other spike-inducing devices. Thanks for looking out for my safety though.

Harvey

Back