[How do I?] How Do I Imbed A Photo In A "conversation"?

davidpbest

H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
I'm new to this forum. I am in a few "conversations" with other users here, and they seem to be able to insert photos into the dialog, but I can't figure out how to do the same. In "Conversations" composition window, there is now "Upload File Button" the way there is in a forum posting, and the "Insert" icon will accept a URL to an external photo on Flickr, but the image doesn't appear and sis replaced with a blue "?". What am I missing here? Thanks for the assistance.

David

When you are creating a post or a personal communication, in the bottom right is an "Upload a File" box. I believe that there is a minimum number of posts required before you can upload.

Thanks, but like I said before, the "Upload File" button is there for me on forum posts like this one, but it's not there on private "Conversations" between me and another forum member. So I'm still confused. It IS possible to do imbed images in "Conversations" because messages I receive from others have imbedded images. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Dave, Here is a screenshot of my PM page. What style are you using? It may be something peculiar to your style.Private Com.JPG

UK Dave, I reread your message and you know about the upload button. Sorry, I should have read more carefully. I uploaded some files in the PM section this evening so I know it is functional. Are you able to upload in regular posts? Have you uploaded files before? It appears that there is a limit on total size of uploaded files until you have exceeded 30 posts. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/photo-attachments-limit.28703/
If this doesn't explain your inability to upload, contact one of the moderators for assistance.

David just an FYI I have my own file server and link to my photos in posts and conversations, in case you were wondering how I'm doing it.

Dave, Here is a screenshot of my PM page. What style are you using? It may be something peculiar to your style.View attachment 119160

Here is what my forum post dialog window looks like - it DOES has an Upload File button which I used to imbed this image:

screenshot_1088.jpg
Here is what my "Conversation" (PM) dialog window looks like - it DOES NOT have an Upload File button:

screenshot_1086.jpg

I'd love to contact a moderator, but I don't know how, nor do I find instructions here on how to do it. Can you enlighten me please? I don't mean to be a complainer here, but I have to say, this UI is pretty opaque and frustrating.

David (not Dave - please)

David just an FYI I have my own file server and link to my photos in posts and conversations, in case you were wondering how I'm doing it.
Yea, I figured that, but I can't seem to imbed links to images off the forum either in "Conversation" (PM) mode. Something is clearly crippled with PM UI for me.

I've just been 'dragging' & 'dropping' them into Conversations the past few weeks.
Has been working fine.

EDIT: Something has changed. 'Drag' & 'Drop' is no longer working...
When I tried just now a child window pops up saying 'Uploads not available.'
Although it still works with an existing conversation, just not a new one.
Going to try another way...

Last edited:
Back