How do I hold this thin stock?

Uglydog

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I need to fab this part for a "customer".
Please note his attached hand drawn print.
In order to cut the taper I'm thinking that I should clamp half to the tilt table and mill half to size.
Then add clamps to the completed side, then remove the first clamps and do mill to the remaining half.
Any other ideas?

Daryl
MN

Arden.jpeg

Magnetic sine plate on a surface grinder. Easy peasy, quick, both parts at once. Ted's advice above is probably better for those without the setup I suggested... I recommend you use hot rolled over cold rolled for that part (if it is steel), less problems with warping.

Long piece is a great idea!
SG and magnetic not an option.... here in my shop... yet...

The stock can be anything I have or purchase.
Tolerance is around 1/16th inch.

HRS is more stable than CRS?
I needed to think about that. But it is likely true as stress is added in the CRS process.

Daryl
MN

What Ted said. In my experience, clamping one half and machining the other then flipping the clamps often leads to a mismatched surface. Especially on thin stock. For such a small piece, I would start with it oversized to give me a "handle" and cut to size as a final size.

If I had to work with the finished size, I would probably chamfer the holes and use two 1/4" flat head screws (head diameter ~ .48") threaded into a fixture block. There should be enough of a slot left to remove the screws afterward.

The chamfered screws are also a good idea!!

Daryl
MN

HRS is more stable than CRS?
Yes. The cold rolling of the metal sets up stresses on the surfaces. If you mill one wide side of a piece of flat stock, it will usually warp up at the ends like a banana. You won't notice it until you unclamp the part from the table, then it will be obvious.

Back