How do i get bearings out of quill

tpic402

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Could anyone out there give me a hint on removing roller bearings from quill on index model 745 vertical mill. I am going to try to attach pics. Looks like standard Bridgeport type setup that I see all over internet but, but does not seem to work that way.

mill pic.jpg spindle pic.jpg mill spindle.jpg

circlip on the bigger end. Pic 1.
Then knock the spindle out the other end with its bearing still attached. Splined end. Remove the nut to remove the bearing. Pic 3.
The bearings will come out from either end with a spacer tube between them, or perhaps seated on a shoulder.
There should also be a thrust bearing in there as well.

Cheers Phil

Thanks Phil I will look for cir clip when I get home from work, may be under grease. If not I will call index. Thanks

On most of the quills that i have worked on the shaft will have thrust bearing pressed on to the lower end with the upper end bearing having an adustable nut for setting the bearing preload. Picture 1 looks like the preload nut. remove that nut and press the shaft out the bottom. If you do not have a press use some kind of soft spacer on the top of the spline and drive out the shaft. Attached is an exploded view of a typical quill using the saft as the spacer assemble. the lower bearing will either be a roller or an angular contact bearing in a mill.

mill_head_parts.jpg

Removed preload nut, pressed out bottom no problem. THANKS for all responses

Back