How do I determine a taper angle, given length & width at both ends?

Glad the slope/taper problem had a happy ending and properous looking future! And by the way, that same formula is used for any slope problem such as for calculating the slope of a staircase, hill, mountain, wheelchair ramp... Just gotta watch out if you need the half-angle. For a wheelchair slope you are measuring the heights from a flat centerline so, just subtract the heights and divide by distance and hit arctan. No need to divide the answer by 2 in that case. Easy Spheasy...

When I press the reply button, I get 3 bars of editing options just above the editing window. On the 3rd row, there is X[SUB]2[/SUB] and X[SUP]2[/SUP] for subscript and superscript.

So... if you want to write Tan-1 just write it then, highlight just the "-1" and press the sub or super-script button. Now watch-out for something. You need to leave a space character after highlighting the "-1". If you don't everthing you type afterwared will show-up as scripted.

Ray

PS: I get the biggest kick out of your icon picture. There's another one like that with a kid sticking a screwdriver in a socket.

OK, I get it now!! I also read the subsequent posts about different kinds of angles...so now I know not 1 equation solves them all. It's nice to know how to use the TAN[SUP]-1[/SUP] button (hey look everybody...I can make superscripts!!)
Thanks for the comment re: my avatar...I chose it because for some reason I can't use an animated .gif file as an avatar. On my clock repair message board I belong to, I use THIS for an avatar....

_Smoking Baby.gif

You will never have trouble with angles if you understand this. Keep a copy of it with you if you can't memorize it.

Gene

Functions.jpg

You will never have trouble with angles if you understand this. Keep a copy of it with you if you can't memorize it.

Gene

Gene, you're a gentleman and a scholar! There's no way I could memorize that - so I'll print it out on card stock and give it to my buddy who has a laminating machine. That one is a KEEPER!
Thanks so much, all you helpful and more experienced guys...
...Doug

FYI: You're always going to use the same formula that was provided but, the numbers for the "change in height" are derived a little differently. If you have a part with an extreme taper (goes from very small to very wide over a short distance) the approximate method does not give as good a result. With very minor tapers, the differences in the methods only show-up at or beyond the second or third decimal point. I don't think it's possible to cut tapers in any homeshop machine with accuracy at or beyond two decimal points. When I cut B&S tapers it's darn near impossible to differentiate between say 7.13 vs the desired 7.125. The resulting hubs I make still run true within +/- 0.0002" and there is no perceptible wiggle when the shaft is inserted in the taper hole. A fleck of dust or heavy smear of grease will throw you off as much or more.

Ray

OK, I get it now!! I also read the subsequent posts about different kinds of angles...so now I know not 1 equation solves them all. It's nice to know how to use the TAN[SUP]-1[/SUP] button (hey look everybody...I can make superscripts!!)
Thanks for the comment re: my avatar...I chose it because for some reason I can't use an animated .gif file as an avatar. On my clock repair message board I belong to, I use THIS for an avatar....

Doing the math and getting the angle is good, but then you have to find a way to set the compound slide to that exact angle. If you can remove the handle and chuck it up straight in lathe then you can put a dial indicator in the tool holder and adjust to make a perfect match if it is critical.

Hi Jimbo.
For what it's worth here's a small contribution to help you out.. if it displays ok, otherwise it's a scan from the trig' page in the Zeus pocket book.

Scan.jpg

Regards
George

Scan.jpg

Back