How did you get your user name and what does it mean.

A cathead is machining related. It is a fixture that goes over a piece of work on a lathe to allow machining and holding of something other than round parts. I picked that name because
it would be unique, fitting, and also educational. I like cats too but that has nothing to do with a cathead. Here's a photo of one to get an idea of what a cathead is. How many of you
have ever used a cathead? You might even want to make one. The possibilities are endless.

Cathead

I've never heard of what you describe, but I have seen a oil rig floor cathead. It's what they use to tighten drill pipe together. They put 2 giant tongs on the 2 pipes in opposing directions, and the the catheads (winches, basically) pull on the tong arms to tighten the pipes.

779d426ee2.jpg

779d426ee2.jpg

I've been a musician for most of my %&$ years and used a jbl loaded Fender Twin for over 30 years. Now, of course, I'm too stinking old to cart that big heavy monster around so I use a different amp but STILL have the twin! Still in the flight case from dragging it all over the country and it still honks.

In my earlier years working while going to college, I worked in a machine shop helping in retrofitting old gun boring lathes into trepanning lathes called trepanners. The old gun boring lathes were originally built by LeBlond Machine Tool for war time use in WWII for gun drilling, skiving, rifeling gun barrels up to 350mm. LeBlond built these machines in six sizes that I'm aware of and were specified by the size by numbers 1,2,3,4,5, and 7. Don't know why 6 was skipped, (maybe 6 is the devel's number?) but it was. Anyways, the number 4gsr was the machine size I used to help retrofit. LeBlond built these machines in lengths of up to 60 foot in length. The machines I worked on were built in lengths up to over 120 feet in length and would drill holes from both ends at the same time and put holes in steel bars up to 54 foot in length. That's where my handle originated from.

Mine came about when I spent a week one night many years ago, trying in vain to create an online account as it seemed every name possible had already been taken! It does tend to sum up my life and state of mind most of the time too. But more importantly, it comes in handy for "International Talk Like a Pirate Day!".

cheers, Ian

Too simple. First name is Terry. Last name is Wermerskirchen. Need I say more??

ortho
You might think I sell pesticides. Well, no. I picked that name because it comes from Greek word "orthos" meaning "straight, correct, or right". It is used in this verse from the Bible: "
Give diligence to present thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, handling aright the word of truth." 2Tim 2:15

My surname is Askew, the dictionary meaning being, "on an angle" as I have dabbled as a blacksmith for the last 20 yrs I simply put the two together and got anglesmith! Which BTW if you go back into the 19th and early 20th centuries was a trade in its own right, long before the fabricator/ welder evolved.
Graeme

From the age of 26 to 57 I was a motorcycle road-racer in the UK. At 56 I was the 250cc single cylinder champion so bikerbaker seemed obvious to me with Baker being my surname.

Back