How did you get your user name and what does it mean.

EOD=explosive ordnance disposal (Army) 1959= the year I graduated from EOD school, Indian Head Maryland & got my crab.
Dennis

My last name is Staton. When I was in the Navy, stationed on the USS Oklahoma City (SSN723), I lived in the barracks but the barracks didn't have a real address. I had to have my mail delivered to the boat. The yeoman would come around every morning during quarters and deliver the mail. He would announce the name, "STATON!", "BARNES!", etc. and he would give you the mail.

Somehow I got on some kind of spam mail list, and I was getting letters from all kinds of places, and none of them could seem to spell my name right. I got letters addressed to, and called out at quarters as, "Station", "Stantion", "Stanton", "Stator", et. al. The one that really took the cake was "STRANTOR!" The captain happened to be standing right there, and he said "Strantor.... ok." And then later that day, he addressed me as "Petty Officer Strantor." From that point on, I was known aboard the boat as "Strantor."

Turns out that "Strantor" is a really good alias because it's original. I've never met another stantor in the whole internet. So if you see another one on another forum, you can be sure that that's me (with 95% certainty).

"atwatterkent" Started collecting antique radios in the late 60's and had a number of Atwater Kent radios. It was an easy pick in 1993 when I first entered the internet world and I've held onto it ever since.

PICT2161.JPG PICT2165.JPG

My name comes from a spanish made line of packaging machines.
i am one of a handful of persons in the world factory trained to rebuild and repair every aspect of their lines of packaging machines.
as a matter of fact, as the most senior technician available at 43, no single person in the on the west coast has logged more total repair hours on these machines. the factory calls me from time to time to ask if i have ever run across certain problems in the field, and how i was able to get them going.:thinking:
i bring machines back from the dead, the deader the machine the better i perform.
some of the machines i work on are still in service since the first day i started this line of work 17 years now.
i have saved so many machines, so many times the cast and crew at the stores and plants have dubbed me Ulma Doctor
i wearit as a badge of honor...

"atwatterkent" Started collecting antique radios in the late 60's and had a number of Atwater Kent radios. It was an easy pick in 1993 when I first entered the internet world and I've held onto it ever since.

Ah... I miss the smell of beeswax warming up on capacitors, the sound tubes humming and pinging as they warm up, or the soft glow of tube in the dark. We lost something when we went to semiconductors.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Road , seems kind of simple but it's a long story. Here is the short version..

I have had alot of wierd jobs but mostly I have been a driver of many sorts over the years, semi , tow truck , taxi , deliveries and lots of fast cars hotrods on and on.. I was known to try anything in a car and could drive anything on or off the road. ( Basically called stunt driving )
My eldest brother is a song writer he wrote a song about a friend of his called " HWY DOG ". Being the crazy driver I was ( fast cars, drag racing on and off the street and generally stupid stuff ) my friends gave the name to me but shortened it to "HWY" , That was my first nic name / email.
Then as years passed I matured and I changed to road racing as a hobby ( on the track only ). The name somehow morfed to "Road Ripper". One day after nearly falling asleep at the wheel while sitting in stop n go traffic (from sleep apnia) , I quit driving and changed careers.
I kept the nic but have changed as I get older..
Ironically -- now I dont even own a vehicle.

My user name reflects where I live and that of my primary career, which was was that of a welder.

I started as an apprentice, became a tradesman and did certifications to radiographic standard in stick,mig oxyacetylene (welding), and sub arc.I am fortunate enough to hold Aussie welding supervisor and inspector quals that are are few subjects short of welding engineer level.Quite different from the American welding inspector.
The last several years have seen me develop a big interest in machining.If it rotates and cuts in some way, I'm on it.

Oz

I set up a conceal and carry class. 24 more people in MN have permits.

Years ago when I was signing up for the Yahoo " Engines & Wheels " group ( a horseless carriage replica car builders group) The rules wer hat I needed to give a user name. And wouldn't you know that every time I selected a user name, they were already taken. So I figurie I liked old gas engine cars , so I typed in "oldgascar" and by golly , that silly user name was accepted. I have kept it ever since.

Bob

" oldgascar "

A cathead is machining related. It is a fixture that goes over a piece of work on a lathe to allow machining and holding of something other than round parts. I picked that name because
it would be unique, fitting, and also educational. I like cats too but that has nothing to do with a cathead. Here's a photo of one to get an idea of what a cathead is. How many of you
have ever used a cathead? You might even want to make one. The possibilities are endless.

Cathead

cathead.jpg cathead.gif

Last edited:
Back