How Did I Do?

boostin53

Registered
Registered
So today I made the decision to pick up my first mill. I picked up a mini mill, it's a Micro-Mark Microlux. It's something for me to learn on for now.

It came with a drill chuck, collet chuck, a box plumb full of end mills and fly cutters, a hold down set, parallels, he also threw in a hand full of reamers, some stainless bar stock, hex bar stock and a Tapmatic tapping head. I believe the tapping head is too big for this little mill, but I thought it was nice of him to toss it in.

Picked this all up for under $500. So, how did I do? I already made my first chips with it. I took a 1" chunk of 2" OD aluminum and used a ball cutter to plung mill my initials in the stock. Those were the very first chips I have ever made on a mill and it was exciting!

welcome to the milling club!
a mill and tooling for under $500, sounds like you did great to me!!!
nice score, they are very nice machines
happy machining :grin:

I'm wondering if I should sell the tapping head. From what I can tell, I can get back most of the money I spent if I sell it. Or should I keep it for when I get a bigger mill?

Sounds like you did good. :encourage: How big is the tapping head? What is the tap range?

If the tapping head is too big for the mill, then I would say you need to buy a bigger mill. :grin:;)

The tapping head is a Tapmatic 50 TC/DC. I do plan on eventually getting a nice, big mill. I just wanted something small for me to learn on and do little projects on while I save for a bigger mill. I couldn't pass this "package deal" up. The guy also gave me a three jaw chuck. Still trying to figure out what to do with it.

Back