How common is it for a machinist (by trade) to not know how to thread on a lathe?

Unfortunately, these days I think both are machinists. By that I am saying that guys limited to manual equipment are certainly machinists. But really, when you accurately analyze it if a guy can take a chunk of material and turn it into a product using nothing more than a CNC machine does that really make him any less a machinist? Both guys are limited to either manual or CNC machines but in the end they both have the ability to create a part or something of value from what was originally a solid mass of material if you will. I have no dog in this fight but to me in the end if the guy can produce a part or something of value then they just took different paths to reach the same goal so yes, to me they are both machinists. With that said, I would never have any interest in CNC stuff, that too me would be real bloody boring. Gotta have my hands on the wheels myself.

I'm not sure if I can sign on to that definition but you do make a good point. Where I see things going in the future I believe it will become a moot point. What I mean by that is I see a day coming when CNC machines will require NO programming. The sophistication of the internal software will be such that it will only require a designer to create a 3-D model in something like Autocad, Designcad, etc. and then send the "design" to the machine. The machine will then "decide" how to make the cuts, what tools to use, etc.

"Machinists", "operators", and "programmers" will be gone and we'll be left with "designers".

JMHO (with 35+ years programming experience)

-Ron

I'm not sure if I can sign on to that definition but you do make a good point. Where I see things going in the future I believe it will become a moot point. What I mean by that is I see a day coming when CNC machines will require NO programming. The sophistication of the internal software will be such that it will only require a designer to create a 3-D model in something like Autocad, Designcad, etc. and then send the "design" to the machine. The machine will then "decide" how to make the cuts, what tools to use, etc.

"Machinists", "operators", and "programmers" will be gone and we'll be left with "designers".

-Ron
I cannot say that I particularly like my definition because it takes away all of the shop savvy, education and years of experience and knowledge experienced machinists have and equates it to a computer programmer (more than a little distasteful to say the least) but in the end they both turn raw material into parts, hence my logic.

Those of us that have manual lathes in our shops - are you able to cut threads?
Yes.
Yes but....
No.
Its on my list.

Yes, it isn't that complicated, it just takes a little practice. I cut my first thread 35 years ago on the small Myford lathe my dad had in the garage. Since then I've cut inside, outside, SAE, metric and even Acme. I ran one lathe (a Dean Smith and Grace, very nice) that had an automatic thread stop. I could cut a thread up to a shoulder at 2000 RPM without any worries, the half nuts would disengage at the same spot every time. A joy to use.

But getting back to the original question, there are a lot of machinists out there that learned to do only a few things that didn't include threading. It's not their fault, many companies don't take the time to cross train their own people, they prefer to hire the skills they need when they need them. I speak from sad experience.

Sandro Di Filippo

-Ron

I bet I'll see in a decade or less, the fusion of a laser scanner (existing tech), a 3d metal printer (existing tech) and a CNC, for what equates to a real life star trek replicator. Put a complex part in,close the door, press the "copy" button, come back in 10 or 15 minutes and retrieve the new part. Or if it doesn't exist yet, whip it up an google sketchup with absolutely no formal training in 10 minutes and click "print".

I think the time where parts are reproduced almost like a copy machine copies a piece of paper is a lot closer than folks think. I bet in the next few years it will start being heard of more and more.

Again, I'm not too sure about that. Seems to me there are a number of technical advances that need to be made, if they are at all possible. Remember that is was predicted back in the '50s that we'd all have flying cars by now? It seemed like all the technology was there someone just had to refine it. I think the "replicator" is in much the same category.

Always the "fly in the ointment" :thumbzup:

-Ron

I know down here in South Texas, the prerequisite of being qualified and or hired to run a lathe in any shop, is to be able to cut threads. Especially with the number of different straight and tapered threads that are use here in the oilfield. And most shops will not hire you if you cannot cut tapered threads!

What it comes down to is definitions or distinctions between different jobs and methods.

1. Machinist, this is that we are most likely to think of. Old school, came up through apprentice programs and runs all machines. Works from drawings and use hand tools as well as machines. Might be specialized on a machine or two, but can work anywhere in the shop if needs to.

2. What I may with your premission a Modern/Current/Retrained Machinist. Old school running the new CNC stuff.

3. Programmer/CNC Operator, this person can program the CNC to do the job, either for himself or for the floor. He has to know how to do the job and which tools and processes involved etc. Still a machinist in most peoples views I believe.

4. CNC Operator. No training other than push Go/Stop. Change tools and feed the machine. Not a machinist.

I hope this makes sense. It is a close as I can get to what it seems the thread is pointing to.
Pierre

What it comes down to is definitions or distinctions between different jobs and methods.

1. Machinist, this is that we are most likely to think of. Old school, came up through apprentice programs and runs all machines. Works from drawings and use hand tools as well as machines. Might be specialized on a machine or two, but can work anywhere in the shop if needs to.

2. What I may with your premission a Modern/Current/Retrained Machinist. Old school running the new CNC stuff.

3. Programmer/CNC Operator, this person can program the CNC to do the job, either for himself or for the floor. He has to know how to do the job and which tools and processes involved etc. Still a machinist in most peoples views I believe.

4. CNC Operator. No training other than push Go/Stop. Change tools and feed the machine. Not a machinist.

I hope this makes sense. It is a close as I can get to what it seems the thread is pointing to.
Pierre
ya, you nailed it!

Again, I'm not too sure about that. Seems to me there are a number of technical advances that need to be made, if they are at all possible. Remember that is was predicted back in the '50s that we'd all have flying cars by now? It seemed like all the technology was there someone just had to refine it. I think the "replicator" is in much the same category.

Always the "fly in the ointment" :thumbzup:

-Ron
The flying car tech is here; has been for a long time. Flying cars have been made, but they aren't practical. They didn't take off (pun intended) because there was no consumer interest, for the price tag.

Those entities with the money are the ones who make things happen. For the flying car, the entity was the general populace, who can't afford the technology. You talk about a replicator, that's a different entity. That's industry. Industry will take out infinite loans to buy things with infinite price tags if there is a promise of infinite profit. The 3D laser scanner already exists just like the 2D laser scanner in my HP 3-in-1 scanner/printer/copier. The 3D metal printer already exists just like the 2D ink printer in my HP 3-in-1 scanner/printer/copier. The only thing that needs to be one is to tie the two together and put a "COPY" button on it, and voila! we have a Star Trek replicator. All the hard work has been done!

wait, a quick google search reveals that the 3D copier already exists, but it doesn't do metal yet. They have 3D metal printers and they have a 3D copier. I'm guessing the 3D metal copier probably already exists in an R&D lab somewhere, just getting the kinks worked out of it.

Back