How can I make this feature?

Boring head! Use an edge finder to locate the edge of your part and move over to center the spindle on the edge of your part. Set the dial to zero and move the table away 0.4375" (7/16). Install the boring head and adjust the radius until the cutting edge just touches the work, lock it down and go! Incrementally move the table in as you make cuts until you reach the depth needed.

Given the stated use, I would surmise that the critical dimensions are the hole diameters and their spacing. I also assume that you will be making a matched pair.

I would make the two holes first and mount the part to a sacrificial plate using the holes. I have a 7/8" end mill so I would use that for the arc. Barring that, I would use a boring bar.

Actually, I have a Tormach CNC so I would model it in CAD, create the G code in CAM and cut the profile on the CNC

I'd be inclined to use the annular cutter, but with a 1" piece of aluminum or hardwood clamped against the work in the vise jaws. With a slow feed, it should provide enough support. I really like using annular cutters. They give an amazing finish to the bore.

Late to the game . Plunge with a 7/8" end mill or go the boring head route .

Mount it on a face plate and bore the recess. I had to do this when I made my knurler. Here are some pics of the setup:

DSCI2225.JPG

The orange disk is the diameter of the recess cut in the two parts. I mounted it in the tailstock just to align the two arms on the face plate. Once aligned, I simply bored the recesses.

DSCI2226.JPG

The finished products:

DSCI2267.JPG

Mount it on a face plate and bore the recess. I had to do this when I made my knurler. Here are some pics of the setup:

View attachment 452625

The orange disk is the diameter of the recess cut in the two parts. I mounted it in the tailstock just to align the two arms on the face plate. Once aligned, I simply bored the recesses.

View attachment 452626

Coincidentally I just bought a face plate yesterday :)

Coincidentally I just bought a face plate yesterday :)

With the size of your lathe and the size of the part, this shouldn't be a problem. Is it just one arm, or are both like this? If only one, you might have to place something on the opposite side of the arm for balance.

Back