How can I hold a 5c collet block vertically in a milling vise

Sblack

Registered
Registered
I had to mill a round hole in a rod to be square(ish) so I held it in a collet block vertically. But the ground surface of the vise jaws just couldn't grip the ground surface of the collet block with enough friction so that the collet block wouldn't rotate under cutting loads. Anybody got a clever trick for holding the collet block so that it can't fall over?

I'm visualizing you were using a toolmakers vise on its side (jaws going up and down)? The jaws held the block vertical in one direction, but not the other. Could you have used a clamp (c-clamp maybe?) to hold the collet block tight to the bed of the vise then?

With the vise on its side and clamped to the table, the jaws hold the block in one axis and your clamp holds the block to the bed of the vise on the other axis.

Other alternative is an angle block with a 1-2-3 block block bolted up to form an inside corner to clamp the collet block against.

The third alternative is that I have completely misunderstood what you were trying to do! o_O

-frank

No it was a milling vise. Tool makers vise would be a great idea if I had one.

Funny, I was just thinking that after I posted. When you said ground faces I automatically saw a toolmaker vise in my head. Sorry.

-frank

(1) You can use a piece of brown Kraft paper (shopping bag) to increase friction between the vise jaws and the slick ground surfaces of the collet block.
(2) Going with Frank's idea, put V-block(s) between the vise jaws and the collet block. If your mill vise has a vertical groove in one face, you can use that to keep the collet block vertical, with a V-block against the opposite jaw. Or else use one V-block and a piece of sheet aluminum. The aluminum will provide friction against the opposite vise jaw.

I use a worn piece of emery cloth if something is moving on me in a vise or if I need a little extra grip removing a part.

I would change the cutting direction. If the cutting direction is parallel to the jaws of the vise. Then change the direction of the cutting 90° so that most of the cutting force is against the jaw and not sliding parts with the jaw…Dave

Paper between the collet block and vise jaws will likely do it.

You could also add some tool-makers clamps to the fixed jaw, positioned up tight to the sides of the collet block.
Perhaps horizontally out the sides of the vise so as not to interfere with the vertical milling cutter.

-brino

Great replies. Thank you. I like the idea of using a tool maker's vise the best gecause it means that I have an excuse to go buy something! But the paper suggestion is a great one too. Thanks to all.

Hardware Factory Store (HFS) has some very good prices on toolmaker vises. I bought a 3" one for $42.75, free freight, advertised as .0002" accuracy, mine tested to that and was absolutely flawless, beautifully ground. I don't think I could buy the steel for that cost. The vise was delivered the day after ordering it.
https://www.hardwarefactorystore.com/tools/vises-hold-down-clamps/

Back