how big a chuck on Logan/wards 10"

Calixt0,

The largest chuck that you can realistically use on a 10" lathe is about 8". The figures for maximum size of work piece that you can hold on the OD with a given chuck depend upon which way that you have the jaws turned (4-jaw independent or 3-jaw scroll with 2-piece jaws) or which set of jaws you are using (3-jaw scroll with solid jaws). Assuming that you have the correct jaws or the correct jaw orientation set up, and assuming that the jaws aren't hitting the bed, it depends on how long the jaws are and what the length (radial dimension) is of the tallest jaw tooth. But you don't want more than about 1/3 of the jaw length hanging out in the breeze because the more that it sticks out, the more it will tend to cock and the more likely you are to break out the slots in the chuck body. So whether the correct maximum diameter figure for a 6" chuck is 6.0", 6.3" or 6.6" will depend entirely upon the jaw geometry.

My Logan 820 came with a old 8" 4-jaw and a smaller worn-out 3 jaw. For a few years the 8" was my only chuck and it did well.

just aquired a logan 9x28 lathe that came with a 6 in. 4 jaw......at the moment am uncomfortable with that one " but I made it work" so needing to know what info I need to find a 6in. 3 jaw and where to find one......check pix below

the pic on the right is the chuck that unscrewed from the face plate behind it, I have no idea what to get but looks like I need a chuck that screws on the face plate????

Attachments

• 100_3806.JPG
    100_3806.JPG
    588.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_3807.JPG
    100_3807.JPG
    580.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_3808.JPG
    100_3808.JPG
    533.4 KB · Views: 8
just aquired a logan 9x28 lathe that came with a 6 in. 4 jaw......at the moment am uncomfortable with that one " but I made it work" so needing to know what info I need to find a 6in. 3 jaw and where to find one......check pix below

the pic on the right is the chuck that unscrewed from the face plate behind it, I have no idea what to get but looks like I need a chuck that screws on the face plate????
The faceplate is threaded and will unscrew from the spindle, they can be tough to get off sometimes. I believe all Logan 9 and 10" lathes have a 1.5"x8 TPI spindle nose with a #3 Morse Taper internally. See my previous post earlier in this thread about Logan recommended chuck sizes. Here is a video from "mrpete222" on removing a stuck chuck. I highly recommend that you DO NOT lock the spindle using back gears for removing the chuck.

Locking in the back gears to hold the spindle steady is a No-No. It often results in a broken tooth on the back gears if the chuck is stuck really good.

As far as the original question, a 6 inch 4 jaw independant would be about the largest I could recommend. I use an Atlas/Craftsman 12 inch machine. I have an 8 inch Craftsman chuck made for that machine. It is large, heavy, and generally overbearing. I also have a 5 inch 4 jaw scroll chuck for working 4 sided projects. I would like to find a 5 or 6 inch light independant chuck, it might get used once in a while. The 8 inch chuck gets used only when I can't figure out a better method.

I've lost track of him but there was a guy on eBay selling a bull gear locker that spanned several teeth, I forget how many but probably 7 or 8. I bought one from him and now use it although for forty years I used the factory method. But the chucks were never what I would call stuck.

Back